Special Needs
Options

Worried about my son

Hello all of you lovely mommy's!! I thought this might be the best place to start. 

I have some concerns about my 14 month old son. He dosn't really respond all that well to his name..I can call him and he will look at me somtimes, but other times I will be shouting and he appears to not even hear me.I will try making noise with other objects and he will turn sometimes, after I do it for a couple seconds, but not right away.  Other times I will say his name and he will just shake his head "no", but won't look at me. He also dosn't point at anything. If he wants something he will reach for it him self. If I point at something he look at what I'm pointing at. If i ask, where is Elmo? He will look at Elmo and then back at me, but won't point. If he's playing with his pretned kitchen stuff and I ask him, to "feed mommy with a spoon" he will try to feed me with the correct utencile. If I ask for a kiss he will give me a kiss, if I open my arms he will run up for a hug. He loves playing with other kids, makes great eye contact and will pick up my cell phone and start babbling into it. I guess the not responding to his name has me the most concerned. He has  hearing test today, but I was just wondering what any other mom's in put is.

Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Worried about my son

• Options
    I would say that a hearing test is a good start.  All kids just respond to noises/requests/words at a different pace.  It's good that you are acting on this now, but I wouldn't be at the panic stage yet that there is a big issue. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree - a hearing test is a good idea. If your son is like mine; however, he wouldn't sit still for the headphones being on his head. We ended up having to do a "free field" test which he passed.

Additionally, you would have these results as record in case you decide to pursue next steps. I'm not sure if there is cause to pull the trigger now (though my son did exhibit what you described in your post) - but definitely something to keep in your mind.

imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

At 12 months my DD wasn't responding to her name at all, so DH and I stopped using all of her silly nicknames.  She learned her name quickly after that.  Could nicknames be an issue with your son?

We had DD evaluated by an audiologist, and her hearing is fine.  She responds to her name about 80% of the time.  If she is focused on something else, and especially if she is making her own noise, she might not respond to her name.  I think that is normal.

Our developmental pediatrician recommended that we teach DD how to point because she wasn't pointing at 15 months.  She always did the whole-hand reach, like your son.  DD was resistant to learning how to point, and we didn't push the issue.  One day at 17 months, she started pointing on her own.  We were at the mall, and she pointed to the puppies at the pet store and the kiddie train.  Since then, she's been pointing at everything.  So maybe your son will get there soon too.

The hearing test is a good idea.   Let us know if you have more questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"