School-Aged Children
Options

Email to the lunch lady...

Never thought I'd have to do this.  It's not the biggest deal.  Mistakes happen (and husband should have never given our FIVE year old that much money)...

Mrs. X-

My son is T-- he's in Kindergarten, in Mrs. S's class.  He has an account to buy his lunch a few days a week.  Last week, before all the snow, it must have been Tuesday, I knew his account was running low, but he wanted to buy lunch.  I sent a check in for the account, but just in case that wouldn't have covered it in time, I asked my husband to give him some cash.  That was, apparently, a mistake on many levels.

I know T doesn't have a clear concept of money yet, but I excepted him to have, maybe, five dollars.  My husband gave him a 20 dollar bill.  So, T paid for his lunch, which couldn't have been more than a few dollars, and didn't get change.  He said that they took his dollars to pay for his lunch.

I was wondering if there was any way we could track down his change.  I'm assuming that since it was a cash transaction, you don't have a record of it and you have to take my word for it.  At first, I thought that maybe the money got applied to his account, is that possible?

Can you look into this for me and get back to me - either at this email address or call me at X?  If this can't be resolved, it's not the end of the world, but I figured that I might as well try.

Thank you,

GR

Re: Email to the lunch lady...

• Options
    In our school, all money (checks or cash) must be put in an envelope labeled /w the child's name, amount, and purpose, and put in the child's folder. The teacher makes sure it goes to the right place. So, did your child have the money in his pocket? I would think it went to the account. Hope it gets tracked down for you.
  • Options
    In our schools, the child doesn't get change it goes into the school lunch account.  And it seems to take an act of congress to get the money back out of the lunch account.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I heard back from her.  It was automatically credited to his account - which I'm fine with, he'll use it eventually.  As long as I know what happened to it...
  • Options

Oy!  I'm guessing situations like this are the reason Montgomery County doesn't take cash.

They probably put the whole $20 on his lunch account -- I hope!  Good luck sorting it out! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"