February 2011 Moms
Options

Home from OB- need thoughts/advice

Baby is breech and I have polyhydramnios-  excess fluid.

I have had one vaginal delivery and it was ideal.  Fast, med free, easy recovery.

As far as fluid-  My OB doesn't seem the slightest bit concerned in regards to it being a health issue for either of us-  I have a lot, but am borderline the limit, so not a big deal in her head.
However-  fluid is my enemy and BFF in regards to position.  Having this much makes it nice for baby to flip, however that means s/he can keep flipping

As far as position.
* she could not tell exactly how baby is lying today. Based on where the heartbeat was found she thinks still breech, however not as oblique b/c she could feel hard parts low and high to the side.  I felt a lot of movement Saturday, so my fingers are crossed, but who knows.

The plan

Tomorrow is an u/s-  this will check baby's position.

If flipped to vertex-  sing hallelujah and cross fingers.  Once this baby goes head down I can choose to be induced at 39 weeks if I want to avoid the risk of baby flipping back to breech since there is a virtual pool for him/her to do gymnastics in.

If breech-  
I can
a)  schedule a c-section for 39 weeks and continue doing whatever I can to hope baby turns by then.   If turned can induce at 39 weeks or wait for spontaneous labor- or else go in for the C.  (I should have asked if I could schedule for 40 weeks so more time to turn, but didn't think of it)

b) schedule a version for this Thursday or Friday.  They only do them right at 37 weeksish so it would have to be now.
pros- possibly turn baby, avoid c
cons-  50% or less success rate b/c of extra fluid.   Then, even of it does work baby could flip right back easily b/c of fluid, can end in an emergency c-section if baby's heart rate drops (she said that doesn't happen often but I need to know- and decided if I want the extra time or not)

So-  a lot of the decision making rides on tomorrow's u/s.   DH heard the words 'deliver baby by emergency c-section' about the version and I think got scared and said no way.  I am not sure-  leaning towards the version, but holy crap that is 3 days and I have a lot to do and figure out.  So yeah.

Can you weigh in with your opinions on what YOU would do?

EDD with #4  01-20-14
Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

Re: Home from OB- need thoughts/advice

• Options

I think I would opt for the version. To me, I would want to feel like I'm doing something to help the situation. I know when it comes to birth it's all up to nature, but I still like to pretend that I have a bit of a hand in this.

It would be best if the kid just decides to flip on his/her own. 

Personally I would do just about anything I could to avoid a c-section. 

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope it all goes well!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, baby is breeched and at my appt Thur my dr will explain all my options.  I'm kind of scared of the version, just because to me it seems like it would hurt the baby somehow. I know thats probably not the case, but I just don't feel right about it.  Hopefully baby will turn on her own, otherwise I think I'm just going to schedule a c/s!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am definitely in the same boat with similar options (minus the excess fluid). My husband and I discussed version and both of us thought it sounded too unnatural. We've tried all the gentle, coaxing options to try and get the baby head down, tons of inversions, the chiropractor, etc., but we have to presume at this point there is a reason why the baby is breech. My fear of version is the stress it would put on the baby and then, or course, the possibility of an emergency section if it didn't work out. We decided to wait it out and have scheduled a section for my due date (next week) if the baby doesn't flip on it's own by then or I don't go into labor. I feel like I have done everything possible myself to try and flip the baby so I don't feel guilty not trying version (and I feel guilty about everything!). I decided I would feel worse and question myself if I went for a version at 37-38 weeks and ended in an emergency section when maybe the baby wasn't going to flip until 39 weeks. I have two close friends who tried version, it didn't work and they ended with an emergency section, so that kind of pushed me over the edge with not trying version! You could definitely ask your doctor to schedule a section closer to 40 weeks. My doctor gave me the option of anytime after 39, but I kind of want to wait it out and hope for the best!

• Options
    Not to scare you, but one of my really good friends is an OB nurse and this past week at the hospital she works at they (the Dr.) tired to do a version and the woman started bleeding because her placenta started to detach from the trauma of the version.  I hope whatever you decide works well for you. GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's a tough one.  I would shy away from the version, because it doesn't seem like there are many benefits, and there are a lot of risks.  Since you still have 2+ weeks to go before they would induce, it seems almost definite that LO would flip one way or another on their own, whether or not you have the version done.  The u/s at this point also seems a little questionable, not because it would harm the baby in any way of course, but because it won't tell you anything about which position he/she will be in once you are 39 weeks.  It seems ideal to me to get an u/s closer to 39 weeks.  If LO is breech then, schedule a CS for just a few days later.  If LO is head-down, get induced right then and there.  But I don't know if waiting to make a decision is an option for you.  Good luck, sending lots of baby head down vibes!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I get 2 u/s's a week to monitor my fluid levels (following NSTs).   That's how we know this little one flipped.  Tomorrow's u/s is important if we want to try the version since it has to be this week. 

I will almost definitely get an induction (which is funny as I was so anti it before) if the LO is head down at 39 weeks- before they have a chance to flip back.

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"