Northern California Babies
Options

Kitchen skills

Long story short I have two friends out of wk who happen to be French bakers/ chefs. They need cash and have offered to teach me a few things in a 3 hour class at my home. What would you want to learn from them?
Lilypie Maternity tickers"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Kitchen skills

• Options
    Hmm - if I were paying for lessons, I'd probably start with the basics (using my own tools - not theirs):  knife skills, etc.   And then ask them what THEY think I need.   Sort of you don't know what you don't know...ya know?
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would want to learn 4-5 quick (under 40 minutes of prep/work) meals that are really good/ company worthy. Then maybe a French desert or two.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto, SweetieP.  I'd start with some knife skills basics.  DH suggests you ask them to teach you A) A perfect omelette, B) souffle and C) beef bourguinon (sp?).  

I think kittylove has some good ideas too.  Maybe ask them to teach you a couple of basic dishes that could be changed up really easily.  Like a basic pasta recipe that you could serve w/a couple of different sauces or veggies.  Or make a decent porkchop and change up the sides and/or sauce so you would basically be learning a few different dishes at once. 

Honestly, though, the first thing that came to my mind was how to make a really good whole roast chicken.  The idea of that has always intimidated me but I'd sure like to be able to roast a chicken now and again on the weekends. 

• Options
    I feel pretty confident in my skills, so I'd want to learn something like making a croissant that would require some real hands on technique (that I couldn't get from a book)
  • Options
    Ooop I would love some Awsome knife skills. What great ideas I love this board! What I know... I am an Awsome italian cook. I can do complicated sauces, gravy, braise, pastas of all kinds. I would say my knife skills are average and could improve. I know almost nothing about French cooking. I am getting so excited about this!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Baking good baguettes, croissants and french pastries would be tops on my list :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Would they be willing to give private lessons? I have a friend who is really good at cooking/baking as a hobby who would be giddy for something like this. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"