Alabama Babies
Options

sweet potatoes = fail and other fussiness

LO has been on cereal for almost 2 weeks now. Yesterday we introduced sweet potatoes. We mixed it in with cereal and he ate it all. However he woke up at 2am with a poopy diaper (he usually doesn't have one at night but there is a first for everything). I nursed him for about 5 minutes, he kept coughing and finally pulled off and just smiled at me. So I started to burp him and he threw up all the milk he had just ate. There was no orange in it but I'm wondering if the sweet potatoes upset his belly. He woke up again at 4 and hubby rocked him back to sleep but said his tummy was making lots of noises. He woke up again at 4:45 so I nursed him for about 10 min and he just fell asleep. The entire time I was burping him he was passing gas. So I'm thinking of just giving him cereal for a few days and trying the sweet potatoes later in the week. Or should I just skip the sweet potatoes and maybe do apples? He has been fussy since getting his shots on Friday and hasn't had much of an appetite. Maybe he is still fussy from his shots? This was the first time he had a fever from his shots. Oh and he is getting his two top teeth in too.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sweet potatoes = fail and other fussiness

• Options
    LO has been eating cereal for almost 2 months now.  About 3 weeks ago I bought some squash and put only 3 little spoons of it in his cereal to see if he liked it.  IO did it three nights and all three nights he would wake up in the middle of the night gassy so I know he had a tummy ache.  We stopped and we had no problems.  His tummy is not ready for it so I decided to try apple sauce.  I have been adding about 3 spoons of apple sauce for a week now and we have not had any issues.  I don't plan to start anything else until he is 6 months so hopefully his tummy will be ready by then. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Can you try not mixing the sweet potatoes with the cereal?  Our pedi advised us to keep them separate at the beginning because sometimes it is too much for their tiny tummies to handle.  

We did sweet potatoes this weekend as well.  So far, they haven't bothered LO, but I'm not really sure if she likes them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
    DD born 8/9/10
    TTC #2 since 8/2012
    CP 12/2012
    dx MFI 10/2013
    Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
    Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
    Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
    Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageuagirl:

Can you try not mixing the sweet potatoes with the cereal?  Our pedi advised us to keep them separate at the beginning because sometimes it is too much for their tiny tummies to handle.  

We did sweet potatoes this weekend as well.  So far, they haven't bothered LO, but I'm not really sure if she likes them.

So do you still give LO cereal? Since that is his way of getting Iron I still want to give it to him?

• Options
    imagericejl:
    imageuagirl:

So do you still give LO cereal? Since that is his way of getting Iron I still want to give it to him?

Yes, right now she is getting sweet potatoes around 9 am and her oatmeal around  6pm.  Daycare has a box of her oatmeal and can give her some with her midday bottle if she acts hungry. 

The pedi recommended 1 week of keeping the veggies separate.  That gives us time to introduce 2 veggies.  Next week, she will get sweet potatoes and oatmeal in the morning and carrots and oatmeal at night.  He told us to always offer the veggie first, then the cereal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
    DD born 8/9/10
    TTC #2 since 8/2012
    CP 12/2012
    dx MFI 10/2013
    Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
    Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
    Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
    Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

• Options
    imageuagirl:
    imagericejl:
    imageuagirl:

Yes, right now she is getting sweet potatoes around 9 am and her oatmeal around  6pm.  Daycare has a box of her oatmeal and can give her some with her midday bottle if she acts hungry. 

The pedi recommended 1 week of keeping the veggies separate.  That gives us time to introduce 2 veggies.  Next week, she will get sweet potatoes and oatmeal in the morning and carrots and oatmeal at night.  He told us to always offer the veggie first, then the cereal.

Ok we will try that route, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"