D.C. Area Babies

XP: Sleep regression after RSV/a cold

Just seeing if anyone experienced something like this. The babies had RSV two weeks ago. They are better now, although still a bit stuffy. Since then though, they barely nap (only 20-45 minutes at a time...they used to do three 1-2 hours naps a day) and are sleeping terribly at night. Last night, we must have gotten up to tend to DS 15-20 times, including feeding him 6 ounces at 12am, before bringing him into bed with us at 3:30am. DD seemed to do a bit better than this, but not much.

Anyone experience something similar? If so, how long did last? How can we go back to our old sleep routine? DH and I are both now sick and haven't had more than 1 hour of uninterrupted sleep in nearly 2 weeks because we're getting up so much.

Re: XP: Sleep regression after RSV/a cold

• Have you tried putting a wedge underneath the mattress.  It props it up just enough to help them breathe.  We did this with DS last year after RSV, and it helped.

He still sleeps with the wedge in...just sleeps better that way.

• in addition to the wedge, do you run a humidifier? that might also help

sorry, I know how it is...I really do

• Loading the player...
  • Had you sleep trained them, or were they naturally good sleepers? We also find that a change in routine (sick, travel, etc.) messes up the sleep schedule and we have to do a little sleep training again (CIO). If they aren't sick anymore, you can try to get them back on the schedule they were on before they were sick.

Good luck! I'm sorry you're going through this!

• We haven't done CIO sleep training, but we've been on a fairly strict 3-hour routine/schedule since they came home from the hospital and continued to follow it when they were sick. I also follow a lot of the tips in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins. We may have to CIO if things done change for the better in a few weeks. I'm not quite ready to do that yet since they are still snuffly.

Thanks for the advice so far! Keep it coming. Just knowing this is normal makes me feel better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"