Pregnant after IF
Options

***Cara***

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond on Friday night or over the weekend at all! We are trying to get the nursery wrapped up :)

I am having a mini flip out about the fact that you might have to have a blood transfusion after delivery! I hope you don't!!! And now I am worried that maybe my problem is bigger than I thought it was and I am scared!

I am guessing I am only anemic bc of the twins. I don't ever recall this being an issue in the past, but I can't be for certain that I was ever tested. I did read that it is very common during pregnancy, especially with multiples, so I am trying to keep that in mind when my brain wants to freak out!

I did buy a lot of iron rich foods over the weekend, but the foods are not that different from what I normally eat. So I am not sure if it is going to help me that much.

Can you let me know what test it is that your dr does? I don't go back until next Wednesday, and I want to ask my OB about it. I am also going to have them finger prick me right away, so I have an idea of what it is like even before I have the full bloodwork again.

My SIL is/was anemic (her's hovers around 10, but was as low as 6), and she has iron transfusions... that's what you have, correct? She thinks I should suggest having one or two of those before I deliver. I am still hoping to deliver vaginally, but she also thinks I should have a c-section to avoid potential bleeding issues that could arise with a vaginal delivery (bleeding would be more controlled with a c-section)... what do you think? I already know that both of my girls are breech (but one may have turned I think), and my OB's are requiring that I deliver at 38 weeks, March 23rd. If they are both still breech at my 37 week appt, then I will schedule my c-section for 38 weeks exactly; if one is head down, I will be induced at 38 weeks for vaginal delivery.

What would you do???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ***Cara***

• Options

OH NO!  I didn't mean to scare you!!!  I think they're talking about the blood transfusion for me because I was extrememly anemic before even getting PG and the babies are draining me. I look like a ghost!  The iron transfusions (probably the same ones your SIL gets) does help me, but for some reason my iron doesn't stay up in between those twos weeks.  I've been doing transfusions for years.  I'm pretty sure it's due to Celiac.  I would think if they already have you on the iron pills and they aren't helping, the iron transfusions would be a good idea.  It also depends on how low your number is when you go back on Wed.

If I make it to full term they aren't letting me go past 37 weeks and I already have a scheduled c-section for March 24th (EEEEK!!!!).  I do agree with your SIL that they can control your bleeding better with a c-section then they can with vaginal.   That's something you should ask your OB about.  You should definitely get tested so you know what your numbers are.  The iron transfusions might be a good idea to get, at least a few times before delivery.  I would also ask the OB about being sent to a hemo if your number is under 10.  Once I went under 10, my GP sent me to the Hemo, and let me tell you, they have so many tests they run.  I feel like the test I get starts with an F or a PH...I'll have to ask...I've been getting them forever, I can't believe I don't remember the name, but anyway, it gives a better reading of your iron level.

I'm going to search online and see if I can figure out the name of that blood test.  What was your level last time?  I don't remember.  Hang in there!  Since you most likely weren't anemic before your PG, it's probably the babies, twins can definitely take all your iron.  I'm hear if you  need to talk or have any questions!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks :) I am not sure if I look like a ghost or if it is just because it is January in Chicago?

My level last Wednesday was 8.5. It's crazy that it could be that low bc I feel really good, and I am not sure why. My OB thinks with a level that low that I should be dragging by the end of the day, but I am not, or at least I don't notice it.

When I go back next Wednesday, after I have the quick finger prick and find out my number, if it is still around 8.5 like it was last Wednesday, I will push about seeing a hemo and push for the iron infusions. Even if my number goes up a little bit, I will still inquire about those things and see what they say. There are 3 OB's in my office, and while I think they are all great, sometimes I wish there was just one so I didn't have to regurgitate everything multiple times!

You're babies are going to be here the day after mine! Unless, by some miracle, I am able to deliver vaginally, and then I guess they could come before the 23rd, or after the 23rd when I am induced!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"