Hawaii Babies

birthday gift for 1 year old?

Ack, just realized we're going to a birthday party on Saturday and don't have a gift! Birthday boy is tuning 1. Help with cool gift ideas please? Something I can get easily, since I don't have much time! Not clothing, he has a big brother and they're probably set in that department. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: birthday gift for 1 year old?

• I feel VERY qualified to answer this...LOL!

We got an awesome Plan Toys drum, a LeapFrog Counting Candles Birthday Cake toy (the candles turn off when you blow on them!), and a beautifully illustrated and bound book of Disney Treasury of Children's Classics. We also got a Radio Flyer Tricycle and All-Terrain Wagon.

That said, Libby's FAVORITE toy right now is this B. Parum Pum Pum Drum. It's $20 at Target! It's certainly something he can share with his big brother too!

• Leapfrog has a fridge animal farm that is SO cute and runs about $12-$15 depending on where you buy it. It's perfect for when mom's are cooking and the LO wants to be in the kitchen, they can play with the magnets (that make noise!) and stay out from under their mama's feet.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMarried2MrWright:

That said, Libby's FAVORITE toy right now is this B. Parum Pum Pum Drum. It's $20 at Target! It's certainly something he can share with his big brother too!

My friend got LB this, and I said, oh when does your DS turn 1?  I can't wait to return this noisemaking favor! :)   He isn't actually all that interested in it yet, but it does say 18 months, so I wasn't pushing it. 

DS loves anything with wheels - these were big hits

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-People-2019n-Tractor/dp/B000W3VCAW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296058212&sr=1-2-fkmr1

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-People-Animal-Sounds/dp/B000EQGT00/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1296058270&sr=1-1

I'lll post more later - have to run to a meeting.

• My mom found these (the non girl ones) at the grocery store and he loves them.

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-People-Wheelies-Trucks/dp/B003U8XZ06/ref=sr_1_8?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1296058293&sr=1-8

I'll have to check the other brands of trucks at home.  These bath toys are a big hit too. 

https://www.disneystore.com/mickey-mouse-clubhouse-bath-toy-play-set-4-pc/mp/1257237/1000256/

• imageSanHawaii08:
    Ack, just realized we're going to a birthday party on Saturday and don't have a gift! Birthday boy is tuning 1. Help with cool gift ideas please? Something I can get easily, since I don't have much time! Not clothing, he has a big brother and they're probably set in that department. Thanks!

how well do you know them - do they have an education fund set up?  Or would you be interested in purchasing a savings bond?  Especially since it's right after Christmas I am so not looking forward to another wave of well meaning gifts and we are only having a tiny party.  Since it is only close family that is coming to celebrate at our house if they ask I have said clothes or a book (even though he really doesn't need much in those departments either) or I'm honest and say we are really excited about contributing to his college fund, let me know if you want more info about that and then make a light hearted joke about how we will grow out of our house in record time at the rate he is getting toys.  He was not interested in wrapping paper or gifts at Christmas and again a couple of days ago when a late gift came from OOT relatives so I really don't expect him to understand gifts next month either.

I really wanted to to put something on the invite that said no presents but my mom wouldn't let me.  haha.

• Gifts we most love from friends -- savings bonds or passes/tickets to family activities.You can spend as much or as little as you want.

I've bought a friend an annual family zoo pass ($30) and we received an aquarium one for Xmas (more pricey, I think). I also gifted a set of grandparents tickets to the children's center to take their LO ($16). You can always give a related book or t-shirt if you want them to have something tangible, as well.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagelola808:

passes/tickets to family activities.

Oh I love that idea - what a great gift.  We haven't joined the local Zoo yet because J is still free and it's usually just me that takes him while DH puts in a few weekend hours (boo) since it's so close to DH's office.  then we all go out to lunch together after.  I would really appreciate a gift like that at some point in the future.

Blah, I didn't mean to be depressing in my post - but I just struggle with how much STUFF J has and wish our families didn't feel the need to spoil him with toys so much. 

• imageMauiWedding08:
    imagelola808:

Blah, I didn't mean to be depressing in my post - but I just struggle with how much STUFF J has and wish our families didn't feel the need to spoil him with toys so much. 

Our families are the same way, tons of gifts/toys and they spend a decent amount (usually $100 on her) so that would be great for a pass/tickets somewhere.

Our children's musuem is $60 for the year so that's out of our budget for friend's kids but maybe a one time pass would be better. Our zoo is $90 for the year which is pricey, I think! The family we are gifting this weekend never leaves their small town so I KNOW passes would go to waste... they won't even travel the 20 mins to come to our house for a visit!!

• imageMrsZiz:
    imageMauiWedding08:
    imagelola808:

Our families are the same way, tons of gifts/toys and they spend a decent amount (usually $100 on her) so that would be great for a pass/tickets somewhere.

Our children's musuem is $60 for the year so that's out of our budget for friend's kids but maybe a one time pass would be better. Our zoo is $90 for the year which is pricey, I think! The family we are gifting this weekend never leaves their small town so I KNOW passes would go to waste... they won't even travel the 20 mins to come to our house for a visit!!

Ditto on the zoo/museum/activity pass. I already got one to a kid's museum (Groupon) for B's 1st bday and I can't wait to use it =) And I think this idea applies to the 2 & 4-yr old bdays in the other posts too!

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • I agree about the zoo/museum pass, I would love it if we rec'd something like that. we don't even have that many toys/books but I still feel like we have too many! her favorite things to play with are books though :) she'll spend hours on end reading them w/me :)

i think the savings bond is great too esp since whatever you get the savings bond is double that. that's what we did at the last 1st bday party we went to - a small/inexpensive book and a savings bond

• i too, struggle with the amount of STUFF we have, not just for E, but in general. we rarely buy anything for ourselves anymore, and I really resisted buying much before E was born, and yet still, sometimes I feel like our house looks like a BRU exploded in it.  Stick out tongue 

a family membership was a bit out of my budget (and I'm not sure how often they'd go, as it's a bit far for them), but i ended up getting 2 adult aquarium passes, plus a set of foam bath "stickers" from the gift shop.  they had an awesome book, but I gave him books when he was born, so I wanted to change it up a bit.  I think both kids (big brother is free if they go before his birthday in may! hehe) will enjoy the visit and the toys.  thanks for the ideas!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yay, that sounds like a great gift!  Fun for the whole family.  Jack LOVES the little aquarium exhibit at the PDZA, we can't wait to find a day to take him to the SEA aquarium.

I just thought of something else in case anyone else needs an idea (or just wants to buy one for their own LO).

The Birthday Book: A Keepsake Journal

MIL bought J one (upon my suggestion) and even my DH got a little emotional when he was flipping through it over the weekend b/c he had to start thinking about Jack growing up and what it will be like to fill it out every year.  I think I will be picking up another for his little friend that turns 1 the week before him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"