Attachment Parenting
Options

Ate Dairy & Soy yesterday- Any advice allergy mamas?

We have been thinking about challenging DS with dairy and soy.  The allergist said he doesn't have an allergy and we could test anytime to see if there are still digestive issues.  I stopped eating both when he was 2 weeks old, so it has been more than 8 months.  He will be 9mo old this week and we know DS1 outgrew his sensitivities by 10mo (that is the first time we tried).  Yesterday, I had a bridal shower to attend and DH and I agreed that I would eat the food they served (what a luxury to eat at the restaurant with everyone else).  

How long do you think before he would show reaction?

He isn't acting fussy or having excessive or runny/green/mucousy bms so far.  He wouldn't sleep last night and hasn't been napping, but unfortunately that isn't anything unusual here lately.

Know of anywhere I could online to get more info about what to look for and an expected time line? 

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage

Re: Ate Dairy & Soy yesterday- Any advice allergy mamas?

• Options

For us, I usually notice a change in DD about 8hours after I eat it.  Maybe the two nursing sessions that come about 4hrs after I ate it.

I have found that I can expect fussiness, congestion, and a lot of poop. 

DD has been a bit blocked up lately, so I ate a small panini with cheddar cheese last night.   She has already pooped twice today.  Unfortunately, she is a tad fussy too. 

Good luck!

With your first DS, when did you directly offer him the dairy?

• Options
    For IgG mediated issues (which means more digestive/GI/delayed reaction type stuff), Ari's pedi & allergist recommend waiting a week minimum. Basically eat the item in a small amount, watch for 24 hours or so, eat a larger amount, keep watching, increase the amount again, & so on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you

imagebookwrm:

With your first DS, when did you directly offer him the dairy?

12 months
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options

imagewebMistress0609:
    For IgG mediated issues (which means more digestive/GI/delayed reaction type stuff), Ari's pedi & allergist recommend waiting a week minimum. Basically eat the item in a small amount, watch for 24 hours or so, eat a larger amount, keep watching, increase the amount again, & so on.

Thanks.  I was planning to wait a week to see, so good to know that's what your doctor said.    

Is your allergist helpful for these lgG issues?   Mine pretty much washed his hands of us when there wasn't a true "allergy" reaction.

• Options

Ari's allergist is WONDERFUL with this stuff. That's one of the reasons he does the atopic patch testing. It varies with accuracy, but for kids like Ari who have seriously delayed reactions and/or EE (which both Ari's pedi & the allergist think he has EE, but the GI wouldn't scope last time we were there). The allergist actually is about to start a study about APT with another local pedi GI who has given conferences on EE. EE is all about non-IgE allergies, & most allergies under the age of 3 are non-IgE.

FWIW, as his allergist explained it, whether it's IgE or IgG mediated, it's still an allergy. Ari has a few of each.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagewebMistress0609:

Ari's allergist is WONDERFUL with this stuff. That's one of the reasons he does the atopic patch testing. It varies with accuracy, but for kids like Ari who have seriously delayed reactions and/or EE (which both Ari's pedi & the allergist think he has EE, but the GI wouldn't scope last time we were there). The allergist actually is about to start a study about APT with another local pedi GI who has given conferences on EE. EE is all about non-IgE allergies, & most allergies under the age of 3 are non-IgE.

FWIW, as his allergist explained it, whether it's IgE or IgG mediated, it's still an allergy. Ari has a few of each.

You are so lucky.  Our pedi allergist really only seems knowledgeable about one kind of allergy and doesn't seem to take seriously, or know much about the digestive kind.  If LO reacts to this dairy/soy, I want to take him someplace new to help us through this.  DS1 went to a Pedi GIS and she was the one that finally dx us and helped me eliminate what was needed.  This time I did it on my own.  If DS2 doesn't outgrow like DS1 did, I want to see someone who is like your doc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"