Indiana Babies
Options

Weather

Are you guys watching the weather predictions?  I never know how much attention I should pay to them.  I don't want to run out and be the crazy person clearing the shelves, but on the other hand - when Paducah, KY got hit in 2009 with 1 1/2" of ice (where all of my family is) - it was BAD.  Town was completely shut down - couldn't go anywhere, no power, people stealing generators, etc.  Craziness.
image Laura & Jason Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weather

• Options

Oh, and my mom is freaking out.  My aunt (from KY) has been calling all morning with tips - have propane, water, cash on hand (even when the stores opened finally, their cash registers were down so you had to pay with cash), pay any bills online now in case the internet is down and you don't want late fees, etc.

Not that I blame the relatives for calling - when that happened my grandma was without power for 2 weeks.  My aunts and uncles for 1.

Still it's a bit funny the tips that my mom is calling me with.

image Laura & Jason Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I haven't paid too much attention, however I am starting to get worried about it now.  I am going to Officer Moore's funeral tomorrow, but will need to get my kids picked up by 5 from the sitter because DH is working.  My mom was already going to be picking them up and watching them because I have evening meetings, but she is saying she won't pick them up in this weather.  So now I don't know what to do about the funeral, my work meetings and picking up the girls.  And on top of that, I don't have any emergency food or anything and no time to go to the grocery before tomorrow.  Ugh! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm definitely stressing out about it more than I would have in the past now that we have Grady. I'm actually thinking about whether or not we should stay at my parent's house before the weather moves in because they have gas heat and a gas stove so I know we'd be warm and be able to use their stove to cook. The thought of trying to get over there after the storm stresses me out terribly. Ugh. Our power is notoriously finicky and goes out all.the.time. for no apparent reason so I'm all the more worried.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagejacnabe:
    I'm definitely stressing out about it more than I would have in the past now that we have Grady. I'm actually thinking about whether or not we should stay at my parent's house before the weather moves in because they have gas heat and a gas stove so I know we'd be warm and be able to use their stove to cook. The thought of trying to get over there after the storm stresses me out terribly. Ugh. Our power is notoriously finicky and goes out all.the.time. for no apparent reason so I'm all the more worried.

Ours does too!  :(

• Options
    what's the current forecast?  I didn't watch any tv yesterday. 
  • Options

Eh, I kind of am.  My boss just sent an email to make sure that we're all working remotely tomorrow, which is nice.

We're more worried about when to head to Evansville.  I think we should probably leave tonight, but that means I have a helluva lot of work to do today. 

• Options

I try not to worry because I swear the Indianapolis weather forecasters are some of the worst when predicting severe weather, especially in the winter.  I'm also not the type to get worked up about weather events of any kind. 

My MIL called Ryan yesterday freaking out (they're CRAZY about weather) and telling us we need to go out and buy milk, bread, bottled water and make sure we had plenty of gas for our generator.  What generator?  We don't live in the sticks like they do.   

That all being said, Ryan is stopping by the grocery tonight to buy milk, bread and bananas.  Hopefully the fact that our power lines are all undergound will keep the power on.  :fingers crossed:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am over winter!  I'm not freaking out but I am worried...I'm planning on working from home tomorrow and I'm most worried about power outages.  If it's just me and DH I don't care...but I worry about no power with E.  I'm also worried about my mom because she is home sick with pneumonia and don't want her power out either!  Is it spring yet???
  • Options

Yeah, definitely starting to worry a little more than usual. Some of the schools here (rural ones) are already calling off.  We got an email from our principal saying that we will dismiss early today if the ice starts and that if it hits as badly as they're predicting, no school Tues or Weds.  I am going to stop on the way home today to get cash.  Yesterday we got groceries. 

Hopefully it won't be too bad and we'll all just get to hunker down and be in PJs all day with out little ones.  I hope that people in non-educational positions will get the day off too if the roads are bad so that we can avoid accidents.

• Options

What are they calling for in Indy?

They're calling for a shitton of snow here - anywhere between 8 and 16 inches of system snow, depending on who you listen to, plus lake effect snow which they can't really predict (could be anywhere from nothing to three feet). The really bad part is that they are saying a bad wave is going to hit during morning rush hour - estimating 4-5 inches between 7-10am. Yuck.

We did a big grocery-shopping trip over the weekend, but I need to stop tonight and get more milk. I hope the store isn't full of crazies, and there's still milk available! :-)

I try not to freak out, but I always end up making sure we're well-stocked on food!

I guess the good thing about winter storms is that you don't lose all your freezer contents if the power goes out - you can stick them out in the snow if you need to!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wasn't worried, but am starting to now.  If it was all snow, I wouldn't worry at all, I can handle that.  It's the ice that scares me.  I think we have enough food to make though, at least I hope so.
    BFP #2 11/4/12 EDD 7/20/12 missed M/C 12/13/12 @8w5d D&C 12/21/12
    DX 2/7/13 with an alloimmunity + for anti-paternal antibodies started Lovenox daily & BA
    BFP 2/16/13 EDD 10/28/13

• Options
    imageBrendaK:

The last I heard was up to 2.5" of ice for the Indianapolis metro area and south.  The snow (up to 10") is north of Kokomo and Lafayette.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageIU_baby:
    imageBrendaK:

The last I heard was up to 2.5" of ice for the Indianapolis metro area and south.  The snow (up to 10") is north of Kokomo and Lafayette.

And then possibly a couple of inches of snow on Wed on top of the ice.

BFP #2 11/4/12 EDD 7/20/12 missed M/C 12/13/12 @8w5d D&C 12/21/12
    DX 2/7/13 with an alloimmunity + for anti-paternal antibodies started Lovenox daily & BA
    BFP 2/16/13 EDD 10/28/13

• Options
    I hate ice! I would take the snow than ice. I have to work until 11 tonight and then pick up the kids from IL's. I am hoping it is not that bad out late tonight when I am on the roads. I am also suppose to go to Officer Moore's funeral tomorrow. They just moved up the time from 11am to 10. I am glad I have off tomorrow.
  • Options
    imagebeccabrad:
    imageIU_baby:
    imageBrendaK:

And then possibly a couple of inches of snow on Wed on top of the ice.

Ugh. Ice is the worst, and it's especially bad when snow piles up on top of it! I hope you all stay safe!!

• Options

I wasn't initially but I'm starting to get a little nervous. Mainly because of my freezer full of BM! I don't have to go anywhere and neither will DH if the weather is that bad. We have a wood burning stove for heat and my mom lives <1 mile away and they have a gas stove as well as a generator. If we can make it there, we would probably be fine.

I had already planned to make a trip to Target this morning, so I'm going to pick up a few basics while we're there. (We need them anyway).

• Options

I'm a little worried. I cancelled my Dr appointment already for Wednesday morning. There is no way I am driving 45mins to Lafayette in that craziness. They are expecting 18inches here for us. Not fun at all. I did run to the store early this morning and got a few things just in case. We are in town and only a few blocks from the store, so hopefully if we need anything we can run there.. I will probably also fill jugs up with water. DH is already planning on staying the night at work tomorrow night. Which makes me feel a bit better b/c I get so worried when he has to travel when storms hit like this. He gets to work by backroads and none of them have been touched or plowed at 5am.

I am really hoping they are all wrong and we don't get the ice and just a bit of snow.

~Micah and Danae 6-17-06~
    ~GRACIE JEAN 7-5-08~

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"