Stay at Home Moms

Silly, but I don't know why I'm letting this bother me?

My grandmom lives in a senior apt. complex. The rent has skyrocketed this year and so she is forced to downsize from a 2 bdrm to a 1 bdrm. Of course, she has to get rid of somethings and called to ask if we would take a few pieces of furniture that were my great grandparents. I then get an email from my grandmom saying she is getting rid of her collection of blue glass, and whatever pieces family doesn't take she is donating to the thrift store where she volunteers. For some reason this is making my heart break. For as long as I can remember, my mommom has had this collection of blue glass, from small little old medicine jars to big vases. It's been her thing. I even told MH that when I think of my mommom I think of ivory soap (because that's what she smells like) and blue glass.
I know it's silly to be upset by it, but I feel like by doing this she's kind of "putting her affairs in order" for when she dies. She isn't sick or anything, but is the worrying kind and never wants to be a burden. It's just sad to think when I go to visit the collection will be gone. We're heading there today and I'm going to pick up a few pieces and let Mo pick one too.

Kind of like a bit of my childhood is gone! :( Silly, I know.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.

Re: Silly, but I don't know why I'm letting this bother me?

• I don't think that the way you're feeling is silly at all.  It's very difficult to think about losing a loved one whether you have years to prepare yourself or only minutes.  I just lost my grandmother right before Christmas, and honestly it was the hardest thing I've ever been through.

My DH has one grandmother still living, but she is in a nursing home and has alzeheimer's.  Last year, the family had to go through her possessions and sell her house.  DH felt horrible b/c some of the family talked about her like she was already dead.  I know that he wishes his grandmother would have been well enough to decide who got what b/c he thought it would mean more if she decided to give us something instead of deciding we would take something.  She had a beautiful set of dishes that no one wanted and so they were just going to end up a thrift store.  We truthfully didn't need them (or quite have the room for them) but DH always remembered eating family dinners off of them and he's very intent on having big family dinners in the future, so we took them.  We don't get to visit his grandmother very often, but we sure do think about her every time we eat off those dishes.

Cherish every moment you have with your grandmother Smile

• Not silly at all!  My parents moved from my childhood home a few years ago and it was difficult to deal with!  They had a yard sale and got rid of SO much stuff.. it took everything I had not to take every little thing that held special memories for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear you- it is really hard to know that our loved ones won't be around forever.  However, if I were you, I would keep every last piece of blue glass that she has that means something to her.  Even if you aren't that into it, your children or grandchildren might be someday which I think is totally worth it.  My grandma left me a bunch of china, vintage costume jewelry, etc.  For years I had no interest in any of it, but now they are my prized possessions because not only are they truly beautiful but they belonged and meant something special to her.  Just my thoughts. 
  • It is so hard to think of your grandma not being with you.  Last year at Xmas time, my grandma started trying to give her things away to people.  My mom wouldn't let her.  She told her if there is something she wants someone to have, to put their name in a sticker on the bottom of it.  However, she did not want my grandma to start getting rid of things in preparation for passing away.  She loved her Xmas decorations and I am so glad she was able to enjoy them for one last year. 

I truly believe there is a mindset that contributes to when someone will pass, and that is why my mom wanted to keep her an active participant in her life.  It is the only way I can explain why my grandmother waited until the week after her two newest great-grandbabies were born to say goodbye to this world.  She saw them safely into this world and left to be their angel.

If your grandmother wants to get rid of her blue glass, I would consider taking the most memorable pieces.  After my grandmother passed away, there were many issues with dividing up her estate.  It brings out the ugly in people.  The ONLY thing I wanted was a figurine that had been on her dresser for as long as I can remember.  It reminds me of windmill cookies, butter flavored pretzels, swim caps, the loft in her condo, and every other good time of our life together.  I would have really regretted not taking it just because I don't currently have the perfect place for it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope not silly at all. My Great-Aunt and Uncle were like grandparents to me. My Uncle was married once before and had a son (his only child) that he had no relationship with. When my Uncle went into a home a few years after my Aunt died his son stepped in and basically told us we were not aloud in the house and he would let us go through things we might want (he took a ton of home videos and pictures of all the kids) at a later date. Well he ended up selling the house and destroying everything in it without telling anyone. I would love to have just one thing that reminded me of them and all the memories in that house.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"