Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

son wants his diaper back on

We started potty training our son this weekend.  We put him in undies, no pull ups..except for trips.  He is doing well.  He had a few accidents yesterday, but was telling us when he had to go and using the potty.  He has tons of signs of readiness...telling us, being interested in using the potty.  Well, this morning he was doing well, but then went number two in his undies...and refuses to put the undies or pull ups on.  He insists on wearing a diaper...what do I do?  Does this mean we should take a break?
Alicia
Mom to Three Sweet Things
Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness

Re: son wants his diaper back on

• Options

My son asked for a diaper in the early days of potty training when he wanted to go poo.  I always suggested going potty instead.  No more diapers.

Maybe let him go bottomless at home (which is what I did) so he doesn't associate the underwear with a bad/scary experience.

Stick to your guns.  It can be messy business but in the long run, it is well worth it.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    Since he just turned 2 I probably would not push it too much.  Keep on asking all day and remind him of his reward (if you do that).  If you really want to push it try nothing on at all. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

When my DD1 asked for a diaper, usually it meant she had to go but was anxious about it for some reason. So we struck a bargain -- if she sat on the potty, and still wanted a diaper afterwards, then she could have one. 

Sometimes she would do her thing on the potty and be fine afterwards, so we didn't bring up diapers and just went on as if she hadn't asked. But if she asked again after going, we held up our end of the bargain and let her wear a diaper for a few hours. The next time we changed her diaper, we offered her a choice of two different pairs of underpants (i.e., a diaper was not one of her options). 

That worked for us, and I think that by offering her some control over the situation, it kept us out of any serious regressions. But she was older than your DS, more like 2.75.

Personally, I wouldn't push it for a young two, although I know some people would. But you could still see if he's open to the negotiation approach. I'd approach it as, "If you wear your big boy pants for (x time period, or until snacktime, lunch, etc.) and you still want a diaper then, you can have one" and see what his reaction is.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"