Natural Birth

Another Doula Question...WDYT

Would you completely disregard a Doula who hasnt had a child? I am considering getting one since my Prenatal yoga teacher dubs as a doula. She is amazing in yoga and seems to really know her stuff, but she doesnt have her own children. Is this weird (to have birth support who hasnt gone through child birth?)

Would you even consider having a doula who hasnt had kids? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Another Doula Question...WDYT

• As long as she's experienced as a doula, I don't think it should be a problem. Just because she hasn't experienced childbirth doesn't mean she less versed in being an assistant to you and your husband - helping you recall pain management techniques, assisting in comfort care to mom and dad, being an advocate for your birth plan at your birth location....

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

• I wouldn't disregard a doula for this. If she is well trained I don't think it would be a problem. Look at all the male OB's and Midwives (I don't know what they are really called sorry for my ignorance), they have never had a baby but they have been trained for it.

Now if the doula hated kids then I would question it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • My doula hasn't had any children, but I'm confident in her because she has plenty of experience. She is also very calm and is amazing at including my husband in the planning of the birth.

It's ultimately your call, but I wouldn't not hire a doula because she hasn't had children. Are you comfortable around her? If you're not then I wouldn't go with her because you need to feel as relaxed and uninhibited as possible during birth.

• i don't think that someone has to have personal experience with something in order to be helpful.  think about cancer dr's that have never had cancer, people that teach the blind who are not blind, male OB's...etc. 

also some women can not have babies, they should be able to help other women with the experience. 

i'm biased here, but i wonder why you would even question this?

• I'm a little biased in the other direction. When they have kids (especially recently), I wonder, where are their kids during the (sometimes) 12+ hours of labor their clients are in?

Plenty of oncologists don't have cancer, and yet they can effectively treat it. Same deal, IMHO.

• I think that a person can be a great doula even if they have not been through childbirth firsthand. Being a doula is about compassion, empowering the family, caretaking, and birth knowledge among other traits. That can certainly be acomplished by someone who has not given birth.  Every labor is different, so a doula's own 1, 2, or 3+ births of her own still might be nothing like mine. If a person is wired to have doulaing skills, the state of their uterus really has nothing to do with it.
  • i say no, go for it. She sounds awesome.
  • My doula did not have any children at the time of my DD's birth. Not for a lack of desire, but because of fertility issues. She was, however, very experienced, and wonderfully empathic.

When my DD was two years old, I acted as my doula's doula when she had her first baby. It was pretty awesome.

• imageTexas77again:

i don't think that someone has to have personal experience with something in order to be helpful.  think about cancer dr's that have never had cancer, people that teach the blind who are not blind, male OB's...etc. 

also some women can not have babies, they should be able to help other women with the experience. 

i'm biased here, but i wonder why you would even question this?

To be honest, I never thought about it until I read a list of Questions to ask Potential Doula, and Whether or not they have children was on the list.

Then I felt silly that maybe that was a basic thing that I never thought of. I never would peg her as inexperienced due to her wealth of knowledge during yoga and post-class chats. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"