Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Those who are taking extra iron for anemia come in please:

When I was at the dr. the other day he mentioned that I could go ahead and start taking extra iron since I was anemic last time around. Is it correct that I should take it at a different time than my pre-natal vitamin? I think I remember that? Maybe so that I don't have an upset stomach due to all the iron at once....Anyone know?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Those who are taking extra iron for anemia come in please:

• Options
    I was told to take mine at a different time of day than my prenatals and to be sure not to take them within 2 hours of any milk or calcium since that inhibits the absorption.  I typically do this...eat cereal/yogurt for breakfast, have instant oatmeal and orange juice as a mid morning snack and take my iron (the vitamin c is supposed to help with absorption), then I take my prenatals at bedtime.  If I take the iron alone, it upsets my stomach, but with a small snack, I'm fine.  Just be aware that the iron may change your...um, poop.  That was a surprise for me!
  • Options
    I have to take Iron twice a day (apparently I'm really anemic...). I take it once in the morning after breakfast and once with my prenatals at night. I use the Target version of Slow FE, which is supposed to be easier on the digestive system. I haven't had any issues with it.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doc never said anything about taking it a certain times with certain foods so I just take them with my PNV. Otherwise I'd never remember. But I'm only borderline low, so I'm not really worried about not getting enough absorbed. Hope that helps, if you google there's a list of foods to avoid taking it and tips to avoid upset tummy.
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagevflipo:
    I have to take Iron twice a day (apparently I'm really anemic...). I take it once in the morning after breakfast and once with my prenatals at night. I use the Target version of Slow FE, which is supposed to be easier on the digestive system. I haven't had any issues with it.

This! Slow FE is much easier on your stomach and if you can manage it take it at a different time than your prenatal vitamin.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Michael, Feb 28, 2004. m/c August 2004. Christian, born at 32 wks, June 13, 2005. Benjamin, December 10, 2006. m/c June 2010. BFP July 10. EDD - 5/3/11.
  • Options
    I took slow fe and I took it 2 hours after dinner before I went to bed. Slow fe is slow release so it wont make you feel as bad.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    The doctor didn't say not to take mine with the PNV, so I take my iron, DHA & PNV all at the same time.
    ? Kristen & Austin ~ Married 07.04.09 ? Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I asked my dr about taking them at different times and she said it didn't matter, just to take it 2 hrs before/after dairy.  I usually take my pnv in the am and my iron at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"