Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

extreme picky eating

I don't know how to handle this and need help!

DS is about 23 months and has never been a really good eater.  Even early on, he would be quite particular about taste and texture and slowly began resisting certain foods.  It seems that he refuses most foods when they are too gooey or fibrous/stringy (e.g., basically any vegetable/fruit with skins), but he also refuses other foods for no apparent reason.  Within the past few months or so, DS has become SO picky that he now refuses foods he used to eat (mac and cheese, cheese sticks, apples without skin, chicken nuggets, that he used to eat are no longer...).  We are literally now only serving breakfast bars, french fries, V-8 juice, milk, and veggie-fries (baked chip things with some veggies in them).  I don't know what to do. Even when given these foods, sometimes he will refuse to sit and eat but will graze if we let him sit on  the couch with us and watch television.  He also used to eat 'okay' at daycare, but even now he is going without sometimes because of food refusal.  DS will go without eating if presented with foods he doesn't like and will pitch a fit to get away.   And if he doesn't eat, then he wakes up at night crying often hungry.  It is a nasty cycle! 

I know we are only reinforcing his behavior by giving him the few foods he will eat, but I just want him to eat something at this point...  And I honestly can't handle fits at every meal time (and DS waking up hungry every night) and am afraid of making meal time completely aversive.

Help!!!!! 

Re: extreme picky eating

• Options

I know all too well about picky eaters! DD is just awful. She would eat every flavor of baby food but when we switched to solids, forget it! I was told to keep offering the foods you want them to eat while obviously still giving them what they will actually eat. It's probably just a phase (a long, frustrating phase!) For example, DD used to eat chicken when she was 1- 1 1/2, stopped for 6 months and just recently started eating it again. Weird :)

Have you tried Yobaby yogurt 3-in-1 meals? DD absolutely loves them and has them once or twice a day. It's the only way she gets veggies (aside from juice.) Good luck, I know it really sucks :( Just think that one day he'll be a teenager and eating you out of house and home!

• Options
    My 2 year old is an extremely picky eater.  So much so that we have to attend a weight clinic every 6 weeks to evaluate his weight b/c he fell off the charts weight wise b/c he just won't eat.  Looking at what your son does eat, if he is gaining weight and developmentally on track I would just feed him what he likes.  He is drinking milk and V8 which I think is quite good (my ds will ONLY drink water).  Our nutritionist suggested getting our DS to add one new fruit and veggies per YEAR over the next several years.  She said that if we manage that then by the time he is 10 he should have a pretty decent variety of fruits and veggies (and hopefully a meat of some sort!) by then.  GL, I know how stressful it is to have a child that will not eat.  It is definitely one of the more challenging things that I have had to face as a parent.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"