Preemies

I just get nervous...

My son was born Jan. 17 @ 35 wks...he's still in NICU and doing great...but, I can't help feeling nervous about bringing him home. I'm just imagining in my head how I don't want NO-ONE holding him!!! Or coming over. I even get anxious when my hubby feeds him or burps him. I just feel nervous for some reason. I read how they had their babies in the NICU ajd they have to take them back to the hospital after getting out because the babies get sick! Anyone else felt this way or am I overthinking it?

Re: I just get nervous...

• Every new mom gets nervous bringing baby home, especially preemie moms. You're not overthinking it. You do have to be a little more careful (having people wash their hands, not taking baby out in public etc.) But you don't have to be overly crazy about it, which is difficult I know. But after a few days home you'll get the hang of things, just try not to stress!
  • imageAshtynB:
    Every new mom gets nervous bringing baby home, especially preemie moms. You're not overthinking it. You do have to be a little more careful (having people wash their hands, not taking baby out in public etc.) But you don't have to be overly crazy about it, which is difficult I know. But after a few days home you'll get the hang of things, just try not to stress!

This is great advice! As for DH, you're going to have to let him help out, just remember that even though he does things differently, it doesn't make his way wrong.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Of course it is normal to be nervous! Does your NICU offer any teaching or care classes before discharge? I know I was always anxious whenever anyone else held or fed my ds because, of course, they were doing it all wrong. That anxiety lessens over time and you will get into a routine. Just know your feelings are competely normal and justified after all you've been through.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thank you, ladies....i need to take it easy!Zip it!
  • I feel the same way. DD got to meet Romy today and I struggled SO much to not constantly go 'HANDS OFF ALOISIA!'. She kept wanting to put her hands in her mouth. Prayers that you can relax a little and your son has a great transition :)
    Aloisia Sofia (35 weeks) 08/05/09 || Rosemarie (Romy) Elisabeth (32 weeks 6 days) 01/23/11.
  • I had all those feelings and then some. I was nervous when his dad fed him even though he did a great job. I didn't want anyone else touching him either. We limited the number people who got to see him while in the NICU and NSCU and just tried to keep family updated with pictures. I don't know if your family is like mine, but they were just a conscious about germs and wanting to keep him healthy as we were. During my first few weeks home no one even asked to come over if they had even come into contact with someone sick. Plus I bought a bottle of Germ-X and sat it by the bookcase near the door, I never once had to ask anyone to use it.

In short, no you aren't crazy. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Natural MC - 4/18/10 (9 weeks)
    DS was born six weeks early on December 2010!
    Natural MC - 11/21/11 (7 weeks)
    DS born full term on October 2012!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"