Preemies
Options

New to the Board...Late Pre Termer Approaching Two

Hi...I'm Sara...just wondering if anyone here has some experience or insight to share--My DS was born at 36 wks. He was over 9lbs. Dates were totally accurate and he didn't have diabetes. I did have pre-e during pregnancy.

He had jaundice and a murmur due to a valve that hadn't closed yet and was in the NICU for a few days. Was told by docs that late term preemies are at risk for developmental delays.  Had GERD for several months of infancy. His follow up echo a few months ago was normal...innocent murmur

Didn't lift head til almost 5 m.  Once he did, he met all his other milestones in normal range...Rolled over at 6.5 m., Crawled at 8 m, walked at 13 m. (First steps on Mother's Day).  He was diagnosed with low tone in his legs during infancy but only qualified for a few sessions of PT bc it was chalked up to his prematurity.

He will be 22 months on Feb 10.  He climbs on everything, dances, spins, but doesn't really run.....just walks super fast.  He does seem a bit clumsy and falls a lot, but doc said this was normal for this age.

He knows his colors (mostly), can identify some shapes like circle, heart, star, knows the animal names and sounds, and has a fairly large vocab but isn't speaking in sentences though he will sort of string two words together.  Like" Strawberry.......bread....please...." But he seems to have a difficult time following simple instructions.

He has never slept through the night.  He was a big baby 90 percentile...but is now in the 60 percentile but the doc doesn't seem too concerned. 

Concerned that at his 24m he will be dx with delays..

Re: New to the Board...Late Pre Termer Approaching Two

• Options

he sounds pretty much on track. DS#2 was born at 34 weeks and is 21 months old he's doing many of the same things you LO is doing. At this age following instructions is hit or miss. "Go get your shoes" could result in him getting his shoes or him continuing to play. that's just how this age is. You lo is doing well. DS#2 is just now starting to repeat color and shape words to me but he doesn't know them yet. He can't tell you which shape is the circle or the square.

Honestly your lo sounds right on track try not to worry about it too much. As far as his size he's still a good size at 60% so unless he continues to drop down it should be ok. DS#1 started out big and by 2 was nearly average some just grow early and slow down earlier where as some grow later.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thanks...i appreciate the reassurance.Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"