Georgia Babies

Supplementing with Formula- Pls. HELP!

I have a double ear infection and after trying one antibiotic I have to switch to one that is not compatable with breast feeding. (No other choice due to some drug alergies)  I have a good stash of BM in the freezer but it won't be enough to last 10+ days while I take the meds.

I'm going to have to suplement with formula and have ZERO experince with it.

DS takes 6 oz of BM at a feeding. Do I use the same amount of formula?

Team Green for #2! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Shmoo is growing up! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Supplementing with Formula- Pls. HELP!

• when we started supplementing, M was taking 5 oz of BM and only took 4 oz of formula.  I'm not sure how much your LO is into solids so it's hard to speculate.  I would try 6 oz and see how he takes it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Owen usually took the same amount of BM and formula. So I'd start with 6 oz and go from there. Has DS had formula at all yet? We supplemented a little from birth so Owen was used to it by the time I had to quit BM because I got sick and had to take a bunch of meds that weren't BF approved. I hope you can keep it going by pumping while you are on meds. I knew I couldn't and it was a very hard, sad decision. GL and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Sophie takes a little less formula than BM but she only gets a little a day so she knows to hold out for the good stuff.  Anyway, I was just going to suggest that you mix a little with the frozen BM at first to ease him into it b/c if he's never had it before he's not gonna like the taste!

• if he has trouble with the taste, try Baby's Only Organic.  Marlowe never even noticed much difference.  It's not any more expensive, just a pain to find.  Whole Foods has it, or you can get it online.
  • G always took a little less formula than BM too. I would start with 5 oz and see how he does. If he needs more you can always give him more.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It depends on the baby. Bailey took the exact same amount of formula as bm. But he would only take Similac Advanced formula. I tried target and costco but he kept refusing it. He alsways took the similac with no problem what so ever.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well I'm also going to throw in a third formula option. My son tried Enfamil and Similac and would not take either. We EBF until about 5.5 months then started supplementing a bit. He could tell formula from a mile away that it was not BM. He took to Gerber Goodstart Gentle very well though (thankfully!). I agree with PP about adding some frozen BM and formula to ease the transition.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"