Natural Birth

Help! Induction- what would you do?

I have an appt. on Monday. I'll be 41 weeks. My midwife wants to do a stress test and check fluid levels, and then set an induction date for later that week. I'll be somewhere around 11 days overdue. We were planning for a Bradley birth and I want to avoid Pitocin at all costs! I wanted to labor at home, and not be stuck in a bed with an IV in my arm... I was thinking of asking on Monday to have my membranes stripped, as a last resort before induction, in hopes that I can go into labor on my own.

Anyone have this experience? What would you do?

Re: Help! Induction- what would you do?

• If shes doing an NST and checking fluid levels, theres no reason you couldnt refuse the induction if the results come back that all is going good. Obviously, if the tests show otherwise, Id take the induction but if it looks good, Id deny the induction.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • they can't force you to be induced.  If everything looks good I would certainly refuse.  But it's your decision

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have exactly this experience.  :) 

My first DD was overdue.  The OB really wanted me to agree to an induction at 41 weeks.  I said no, what is the absolute latest I can go?  They agreed to set the induction for 41w6d.  So I waited and waited and started to panic at 41w3d.  So I called the OB And begged to have my membranes stripped the next day to try to avoid the induction.  The morning of 41w4d I believe I woke up in early labor, but when I got to my appt my OB said I wasn't in labor.  She did another NST and stripped my membranes.  I was holding my DD about 4ish hours after that after having a natural hospital birth.  Contractions picked up a lot as soon as we left the doctor's office.  We went home for about 2 hours and then headed back to doctor's office where I was found to be 8cm dilated, they wheeled me over to the attached hospital and I pushed her out.  I think that getting your membranes stripped could potentially just tip you over the edge and I would absolutely request it before and induction.  Good Luck!

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Personally, I would refuse until 42 weeks, and go in for NSTs regularly.
  • imageLittleEgypt:
    Personally, I would refuse until 42 weeks, and go in for NSTs regularly.

Exactly this.

• Yep, I had that experience, right down to taking Bradley classes! I ended up being induced with DD at 13 days overdue. I was not stuck in bed; I was able to move around as much as the fetal monitors permitted. I had an AWESOME birth experience!

Pitocin isn't the end of the world. Personally, I'm not comfortable going past 42 weeks. Even NSTs and BPPs don't always pick up babies having problems.

You can definitely ask to have your membranes stripped! I had it done twice, and obviously it didn't help. Hopefully you will have better luck!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Set the induction for 41 weeks 6 days as long as baby is doing well.  Get some EPO going, lots of sex and acupunture ASAP.  See if she will try natural induction methods like herbs, castor oil, or break your water.  Baby will come as long as you have your dates right.  It's hard to be patient.  DD was born at 41 weeks 5 days.
  • I would start having sex daily and walk walk walk! Do everything you can to get labor going and schedule the induction for the latest day possible. My midwife said the longest they'd let me go was 42w1d...
  • imageflyer23:

Yep, I had that experience, right down to taking Bradley classes! I ended up being induced with DD at 13 days overdue. I was not stuck in bed; I was able to move around as much as the fetal monitors permitted. I had an AWESOME birth experience!

Pitocin isn't the end of the world. Personally, I'm not comfortable going past 42 weeks. Even NSTs and BPPs don't always pick up babies having problems.

You can definitely ask to have your membranes stripped! I had it done twice, and obviously it didn't help. Hopefully you will have better luck!

This. I was a week late with DS. I ended up going into labor on my own but needed PIT at the very end of labor (going from 9 to 10 cm). 

Good luck!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i would get the NST, try membrane stripping and ask during that process whether my cervix looked favorable for induction.  and i'd be trying every one of the folk remedies for getting that baby to come out on its own...  my mws also schedule an ultrasound at 41 weeks if you haven't naturally delivered by then to check on the baby and placenta.  so i would have that ultrasound done and based on the information, decide how to proceed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageflowerchild77:
    If shes doing an NST and checking fluid levels, theres no reason you couldnt refuse the induction if the results come back that all is going good. Obviously, if the tests show otherwise, Id take the induction but if it looks good, Id deny the induction.

This! I was in the same situation and after refusing several times since week 38, my OB guilted me into getting induced at 41 weeks. It was horrible and traumatic and ended in an emergency c/s under general anesthesia. I was unconscious for my LOs birth and first 3 hours of life. I don't want to scare you, but wish somebody would've told me a story like this when I decided to go along with it. If you and baby are healthy, I would wait until 42 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"