Natural Birth

Can I do this? 32w and considering natural birth.

Hi ladies,

So my entire pregnancy my OB has told me that I will most likely have to have a c-section due to the way my pelvis is shaped and baby being breech since week 8. I was checked today and baby is head down and I'll probably be able to labor naturally. When she asked me if I wanted an epidural my immediate response was YES. I don't handle pain well. But the more I thought about it, and reading all the positive natural birth stories, and being able to get up and move around during labor really appeals to me. But now I feel like so late into my pregnancy I don't have time to prepare. I don't have a doula, I haven't taken bradley classes. Do any of you have any recommendations on how to prepare myself so late into the game to at least try for a natural birth? I've been drinking RRL tea and doing yoga throughout the pregnancy, as well as reading about a med free birth. 

Thank you! 

Re: Can I do this? 32w and considering natural birth.

• I would find out more about what she means by needing a c-section due to the way your pelvis is shaped.  I'm hoping for a natural birth too and am not taking any classes, but I am doing a lot of reading and am practicing relaxation breathing.  I highly recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.  Best of luck to you!
  • First off try to remember that our bodies are designed to do this.  IMO, it sounds like they instilled some fear into you right from the start.  Babies can be breech right up until birth, there was no reason to even mention a "breech" baby at 8 weeks.  How is that even possible?  Babies are are all over the place until they run out of room and settle in and even then they can still turn. 

About your pelvis shape, I would question that and demand she explain exactly what she means.  

I reccommend Ina May's book too as well as watching the Business of Being Born.  That movie was so helpful for me because I actually got to see positive birth experiences, without hospital interventions.  I had no idea women could give birth so calmly and joyfully!  Good luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • imageLiluBee:

there was no reason to even mention a "breech" baby at 8 weeks.  How is that even possible?  Babies are are all over the place until they run out of room and settle in and even then they can still turn. 

About your pelvis shape, I would question that and demand she explain exactly what she means.  

Yeah, I have to roll my eyes at a doctor telling you the baby is "breech" at 8 weeks. At the 8-week ultrasounds I've had, the baby is the size of a gummy bear and it flips around all over the place. There's no need to turn head-down until much later in the pregnancy.

Pelvic shape and size is really hard to determine from manual examination. Did they do x-rays on you? I didn't think so!

I believe that you can do it, but you should read up ASAP and watch some videos. I would be concerned about your doctor's support, given the fearmongering that she seems to have done from the get-go.

• Of course you can do it! Our bodies are designed to give birth... putting all things aside, giving birth is pretty much our bodies sole goal in life. Your mind and heart may have other goals but the guts inside only know they want to procreate and support our population! lol go pick up the book The Bradley Way.. it'll help with a lot of postions and techniques to relax. Just keep telling yourself, you can do this! You could also hire a doula if you wanted I'm sure they will work with you even if your near the end
  • If it's what you want, sure you can.Smile  I just had a natural birth one week ago with my first and didn't take any classes.  My husband and I both read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and recommend it highly.  It was helpful, and my labor process really happened in the way described in the book, which focuses on the woman's emotional response to the progression of labor.  We thought it was great preparation. 

One thing that I disagreed with that this method discussed was the concept of a "painless" birth.  I think that's a bunch of hooey.  Honestly, I didn't think it was nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but there's no way I would call it painless, and I never expected it to be.  I think if it's really important to you to have a natural birth, the pain is manageable.

Best of luck to you in deciding what's the right choice for your birth.

• I also think it would be helpful to rent some videos on natural birth - either from the library or Blockbuster or something...our class on natural birth had us watch dozens - probably 40 or so - births so that we could prepare. I think you can also find them online...

It does hurt like H! But it is really great to try and find choose the most comfortable position and be able to move around right after bay comes! GL! Let us know what you choose!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • of course you can do it!  given your doctor's concerns about your pelvis, you may feel more comfortable giving birth in a hospital in case something goes awry.

since you only have a few more weeks to prepare, you need to really surround yourself with positive stories of natural birth and psych yourself up for it.  i too recommend ina may's books, especially spiritual midwifery, which is so empowering and positive. 

when i was preparing for my natural birth, i also read a lot of unassisted birth stories online.  although my homebirth was attended by a CNM, i really drew strength from stories of women who did it all by themselves and had healthy babies and positive birth experiences.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You should read the Hypnobirthing book by Marie Mongan. This book changed how I thought of birth and gave me confidence in my body. I know a few people who haven't taken the classes, just read the book and were able to have natural birth with very little pain. My Hypnobirth was absolutely pain free, so it is definitely possible if you do as much preparation as you can, now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"