Natural Birth

s/o birth pools, I can't decide where I want mine

At one point I was considering a home birth and labouring and possibly birthing in a pool. My SIL offered to lend us her birth pool. Due to some issues, we are now choosing to birth at the hospital. I plan on labouring at home as long as possible, but am wavering about using the tub (do I really want to set it up if we might not be there that long, etc?). SIL gave it to us anyway. I think I'll leave the decision about whether I want to use it or not for when I'm in early labour. But, I'd like to plan ahead where I'm going to put it if I decide I want to use it. There are two options:

Master bedroom: second floor, but I will have my bed, master bathroom, pillows, towels, linens, toiletries, etc. nearby. When I was considering HB this is where I imagined labouring, moving freely from the pool to the bed to the toilet or shower... DH is worried about the carpet.

Living room: main floor, hardwood floors, fireplace, television/music, big comfy couch, bathroom and kitchen nearby. I would have to bring down pillows, blankets, towels, etc. I feel like it is less private - I'd have to close all the blinds and tape something up over the front door window (and place a big do not disturb sign on it).. although it sounds cozy with the fireplace and all, I don't know that I'd feel as secure and private (our front door opens right into the living room).

Any thoughts?

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o birth pools, I can't decide where I want mine

• I've always heard that you shouldn't really use the tub during early labor, because it can stall things (unless that's what you want to do).  From what I understand you should only use it once you are a little more dilated.

If I were you I would put it wherever it would be easiest to empty the pool, since you won't have midwives there to help you.  Do you have a pump to help empty?  If not and you plan to use something like buckets, you'll probably want it somewhere not on carpet and close to a sink, tub or outside.

• image~adamwife~:

I've always heard that you shouldn't really use the tub during early labor, because it can stall things (unless that's what you want to do).  From what I understand you should only use it once you are a little more dilated.

If I were you I would put it wherever it would be easiest to empty the pool, since you won't have midwives there to help you.  Do you have a pump to help empty?  If not and you plan to use something like buckets, you'll probably want it somewhere not on carpet and close to a sink, tub or outside.

Thanks, good point about emptying it. I don't know if there is a pump. I plan on taking it out and setting it up soon just to see how big it is and stuff anyway. I don't plan on using it in early labour because it can slow things down and I want to save my best arsenal for when I really need it, I was just saying I was going to wait to decide whether I was going to use it at all until the time comes.

• Loading the player...
  • Hardwood would be damaged by the water also and could cost more to replace if damaged.  But with the amount of water I would think it would leak downstairs it something did go wrong.  That being said, I doubt that you would have a problem with water leaking either way.  I had a pool and a homebirth.  But looking back honestly if I was birthing at the hospital, I don't think I would put up with the hassle of the birth pool. 

Now that I have given you advice that you didn't really ask for, I would probably put it in the bedroom.  

• imagecocadoll:

Hardwood would be damaged by the water also and could cost more to replace if damaged.  But with the amount of water I would think it would leak downstairs it something did go wrong.  That being said, I doubt that you would have a problem with water leaking either way.  I had a pool and a homebirth.  But looking back honestly if I was birthing at the hospital, I don't think I would put up with the hassle of the birth pool. 

Now that I have given you advice that you didn't really ask for, I would probably put it in the bedroom.  

Haha thanks for the unsolicited advice ;) I am also thinking this.

• I had a similar situation, and we put it downstairs so it could be filled by the kitchen sink. That way, we could also either drain it down the kitchen sink (higher volume capacity than the bathroom sink) or out a window into the grass. If we'd done it upstairs it would have been drained into the tub. I was more comfortable with it being downstairs because I had more places to get up and move to if I wanted, and also there was more room for my MW and attendants (I had a HB).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"