LGBT Parenting

Flying with 6mo twins?

We're headed to sunny minneapolis next week and I'm completely undecided about what we need to make our journey easier.

Should we buy individual cheap umbrella stroller and each take a kid for the trip, and get check the strollers or should we bring our double snap and go and car seats and check all of it at the gate?

We didn't buy an extra seat, so we're having the LOs on our lap, so we dont need the car seats for the plane ride.

Also, I'm not sure what transportation we'll need once we get there, so we might need the car seats, or we might take the subway. Thoughts?

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Flying with 6mo twins?

• We traveled several times when the kids were babies. If you are going to need the car seats (or even if you aren't sure) when you get there, bring the double snap and go. You can check the whole kit and caboodle at the jetway when you get there and just carry the babies on the plane (we did lap kids till they were 2y.)  If you know you don't need the car seats, get 2 umbrella strollers.  We ended up getting 2 umbrella strollers when the kids were about a year - primarily for travel, but we ended up using them a lot - (if both parents are going someplace - it is much easier to each have a stroller than push a double.)

have fun!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Most car rental places also have car seats if you don't want to bring yours along, I did that when travelling with A and it worked out nicely.  Umbrella strollers are awesome for travel, light and compact (and cheap so it's not awful if they get destroyed or lost).
  • Loading the player...
  • oh, oh - let's have coffee and I can tell you all about flying!  JB and I have taken three trips.  And I was thinking of trying to book a small trip next month just so it's not too long in between flights with her.

Okay - here is what I've learned flying with a 2m, 4m, and 6m old. FWIW I've always traveled alone without K there to help.

Take your snap-n-go with the car seats and gate check them.  This way you have the car seats for the kids to nap in pre-flight and in between flights (if you aren't flying direct).  Also, if you are pushing the stroller, it leaves E's hands free vs. both of you having a stroller.

When you get to security you'll take the car seats off the snap-n-go.  Send the snap and go through xray.  Then one by one you'll send the car seats through.  On the other side you can resemble and snap the kiddos back in.

Go to BRU or Amazon and buy these. A gate check bag for the stroller as well as two for the car seats.  It keeps the car seats clean and grease free.  After 3 flights my red bag is dirty and has holes.  I can only imagine how gross the seat would be.  It also helps because the red makes it easy for staff to grab and bring to you when you de-board. 

When you get to the gate tell the staff that you will be gate checking the stroller and two car seats.  I tend to ask them if they want me to bag them at the top of the walk way (and then the staff will carry them down) or if they want me to bag them at the bottom.  Either way, it's really easy and quick to slip everything into bags (I pre-tag the handles with the gate check slip the staff will give you).

Wow - I'm all over the place.

Ok - I just re-read your post.  If you take subways you probably won't want a large snap-n-go with car seats.  But, if you rent a car or take taxis the snap-n-go would be fine.  Hmm.....okay, I might change my advice.  If you think you'll be on the subway I'd take umbrella strollers.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My one caeveat would be that if you get an umbrella stroller, get one that reclines. Even as toddlers, they kids would nap in the stroller and did better with the recline and if you don't have their carseats, you will want something they can nap in when you are out and about.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We have a lot of buses here in Minneapolis, but the "subway" is a light rail system and it is really limited. Depending on your plans, I would really recommend bringing the car seats.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, lnelson20 said it, but I was going to chime in with the same thing.  Minneapolis doesn't have a subway and the light rail most likely doesn't go most of the places you'll want to go.  I'd guess that you'll be riding in a car and therefore want your car seats. 

My DW and I flew across the country with my sister and her family when my twin nephews were 9 months, and I have heard all about their other travels.  (Seriously, my 22 month nephews are better traveled than many adults!)  When the boys were babies they had a lot of success with the double snap and go.  The stroller and the car seats gate checked and it was smooth sailing.  Keep your routine as much as possible, plan feeding for take off and landing if you can (helps with ear pressure!), and have fun.  :)

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Snap n go with with car seats, and gate check them for sure.  We traveled twice with Henry when he was the same age, and the snap n go worked out perfectly.  We also used a gate check bag like Two True, though we only had one for the carseat, not the snap n go frame.  Was very glad we had it. Definitely announce yourself to the airline folks at the gate. The appreciate the heads up and will be happy to help you get situated.

We had a very smooth experience for both trips - we found that generally airport/airline staff are very nice and helpful when they see you with an infant.  They know traveling with babies can be a PITA and want to see things go smoothly.

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"