Alabama Babies

Dr Appt Today!

Today was my 2nd real OB appt and everything looks good so far.  We got to hear the heartbeat (144bpm) and I have gained 5 pounds so far at 15 weeks.  Im not sure if that is good or bad, but considering that most days I am constantly hungry and eating non stop, I will say it is good.  All in all, a great appt, but I have a question for you ladies....

How many ultrasounds did you/will you get?  My dr. only does 2.  One to confirm the pregnancy and one at 20 weeks.  I feel a little sad about this...I want to see my baby! :) 

I am considering the 4D, even though DH doesn't really want one.  What is your opinions on the 4D?  If you are in the HSV area, where did you go and was it expensive?

Sorry for all the questions! 

Re: Dr Appt Today!

• My doctor does 2- one at 20ish weeks(anatomy scan) and the other at 36 weeks(to check growth). He will do a dating one at the beginning if you have no clue, but I knew since I was charting.  And of course if there is any problems they'll do one.   Thankfully we only had the two normal ones. 

We did opt to the 4D...I enjoyed it for the simple fact that I got to see her a third time, and my favorite thing was that I got a teddy bear that has her heartbeat in it.  To me that made it all worth it.  My doctors office does the 4D and it was $150.   I haven't decided if we will do it again if there is a second baby. 

• I know it's fun to see the baby, but it is very typical to only get 2 if you are having a low risk pregnancy. I was supposed to only have 2-one at my first appointment for the EDD, and the anatomy scan around 20 weeks. At other appointments, we just heard the heartbeat via the doppler.

I ended up having more than 2 ultrasounds, but that was only because they were being cautious and checking on a potential issue at the time. (that resolved itself, thankfully).

If you post on your due date month board or tri boards, keep that in mind. You may hear about some ladies having lots of ultrasounds and wonder why their doctors give them several-but it may because of being high risk, possible issues, etc.

I'm glad your appointment went smoothly! :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 2-3 ultrasounds is pretty much the norm.  I had 7, but my OB's office is just pretty ultrasound happy, lol!  My insurance covered them at 100% and I sure didn't mind getting to see her so often!

• I had one at 9 weeks and one at 21 weeks. I won't have another unless there's some cause for concern about growth or possibly if I go past my due date.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With DD I had 5... one to date the pregnancy, then one at 18 weeks but the gender couldn't be determined because her legs were shut, so we had another at 20. Then, we did the 4D at 23 weeks but her face was totally hidden so they let us have another one for free a week or two later.

This time around we've had two so far. The first to date, then at our last appointment they couldn't find the heartbeat so we had another u/s (which was scary at first.) I'll have an NT u/s on Monday, then we'll have another at 17 weeks to determine gender.. and a 4D after that. So, hoping nothing goes wrong, I'll probably have five u/s again this time around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• I had a whole bunch of ultrasounds. I think 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 20 weeks, 24 weeks, 30 weeks and a growth u/s 4D at 37.5 weeks. Also had one at 11 weeks, but that was due to some bleeding.

I would highly recommend the 4D u/s. Looking back on it now, its amazing how much my daughter actually looks like she looked in the u/s. It's an amazing sneek peek at your child!! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only one I KNEW I was getting was the anatomy scan at 17 weeks.  I ended up paying out of pocket for a 4D.  It was worth it to me to see DS (especially since I didn't think I'd see another US) and now I love looking back on the pics because he looks just like himself!

I ended up having a quick position ultrasound around 39 weeks to make sure he was head down.  And then I had a final one at 41 weeks (and a NST) to make sure he had enough fluid.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"