D.C. Area Babies
Options

Car seat & car accidents

So, my mom bought a car seat for Sprout, installed it & the next day got rear-ended. He wasn't in the car seat at the time of the crash.

The crash meets the NTHSA's 5 criteria for reusing a seat: https://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm

Do you think it's OK to still use the car seat? I feel kind of terrible telling my mom that we need to go out & buy a new car seat after she agonized over which one to get & Sprout never even used it.

Re: Car seat & car accidents

• Options
    I was rear-ended and resused the seat without qualm.  Since it was a rear-end collision, I am assuming the other driver is at fault.  If so, you could ask his/her insurance to buy a new one.  I've heard of this happening many times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were rear ended and DD WAS in the seat.  We're still using the car seat. There wasn't any damage on the car-- it was pretty minor.  So, we felt comfortable to continue using it.

The car seat did it's job well, too-- DD was completely unfazed.  :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJenGK:
    I was rear-ended and resused the seat without qualm.  Since it was a rear-end collision, I am assuming the other driver is at fault.  If so, you could ask his/her insurance to buy a new one.  I've heard of this happening many times.

Do this, DH was rear ended in December and DS wasn't in the car.  He just mentioned to the other person's insurance he was worried about the safety of the car seat.  Insurance company said that they would buy a new one.

FWIW, his accident did meet all the criteria for keeping it, but I was in the process of researching that while he was talking to the insurance company.  We thought you can't be too safe, and since they we willing to pay for a new one, we got it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"