Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Imaginary friend?

DS is 2 1/2 and has an imaginary friend. Someone actually told me my DS was weird. Obviously, they can STFU, but it got me thinking. DD never had one and I wonder how common it is.

Does your child have one and how does he/she interact with the friend?

DS talks on the phone to him and says that he is coming over to play. DS sets out toys for him and talks out loud to him while they are playing. DS will tell me things the friends says or does and even requests drinks/snacks for him too. And DS scolded me today for taking his friend's toy. His friend isn't here all of the time, but makes an appearance at least twice a day.

Again, I have no issue with it and I think it's cute. I'm just curious about others' experiences:)

Re: Imaginary friend?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure this is normal (I'm saying this because my daughter is always pretending people are at our house and she talks to them on the phone).  I think it shows they have a great imagination and creativity.  Just last night she said Cousin's name is here.  So she went to the front door and unlocked it.  Sometimes they play with her or do things to her.  My daughter also names her baby dolls the babies at the sitter's house.  I think an imaginary friend when they are 10 might be weird, but at 2 or 3, I think it's just fine.  Again, just my opinion since my daughter does the same thing.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    my friend's twin DSs would talk to their imaginary friends and one day the boys saw a picture of my friend's grandma (who had passed away) and they told my friend that that was their imaginary friend.  they asked who it was because that's who they're playing with.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD just started having imaginary friends as well. They play with her, they ride in the car with us, and they sit with us for story time. Sometimes they are names I recognize, like her cousin or friends from daycare. I think it's normal and wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    I think that's really sweet and says a lot about his imagination. Neither of my kids have had an imaginary friend, but I wonder if it's because they're together all the time? Not a lot of time or inclination to make up another kid when you already have your brother forced on you 24/7, maybe.
  • Options

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't worried, but it's nice to know that others have a special friend too. DS actually blamed his friend for spilling water on the floor today. Now I'm thinking it has nothing to do with showing imagination, but is just a way for DS to have a clever scapegoat. lol

• Options

imageMrs.Saxy:
    my friend's twin DSs would talk to their imaginary friends and one day the boys saw a picture of my friend's grandma (who had passed away) and they told my friend that that was their imaginary friend.  they asked who it was because that's who they're playing with.

This gave me goosebumps.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    imageSage Mommy:

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't worried, but it's nice to know that others have a special friend too. DS actually blamed his friend for spilling water on the floor today. Now I'm thinking it has nothing to do with showing imagination, but is just a way for DS to have a clever scapegoat. lol

My daughter blames stuff on her cousin all the time. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    Ds doesn't.  Kids have them, but 2 1/2 seems a bit early.  That's a sign of a good imagination!
  • Options

my DD has played with her imaginary mice since before she turned two.  she'll chase them around the house and have me move chairs so she can get them out.  we pet them and kiss them and they have names.  i never thought it was weird, it's a kid thing!  (my sis and i never had them growing up but we were a year apart so like pp said, we didnt really have a need.)  

so you're in good company! 

• Options
    DD#1 has an imaginary friend.  Katie (a boy) showed up when she was about 2 years 2 mos old and is still around.  Katie isn't very nice and sometimes hits.  DD asks to go to his house a lot and says that he's at ours and she asks me to help her find him.  DD will pack up her toys to give them to Katie and then go looking for him to deliver them.  Then she'll have a little conversation with him.  I asked the pedi about it and she said although DD is a little young to have an imaginary friend it's not a worry and that I can always have Katie move away if I want and have a little going away party for him.  Sometimes I do make Katie go home if he is behaving in a way that is not allowed at our house.  DD will even speak meanly to Katie sometimes and I correct her and tell her we need to speak kindly to our friends- then I feel like I'm crazy for making her be kind to her imaginary friend....but good manners are good manners I suppose!  
  • Options

I had 3 imaginary friends when I was about 3. I remember looking through carpet fibers to find them and then one day my mom sat on them and they were gone. My mom thought I was crazy for being so upset when she sat down on what seemed to be an empty chair! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"