Military Families
Options

Anybody from Langley?

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been using parents.com and was getting bored. Anyways...we are transferring (again) to Langley AFB in 4-6 weeks. I am getting excited but know nothing about the area. Was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where to rent...or anything really. Thanks Smile

Re: Anybody from Langley?

• Options
    I randomly stumbled on this board and saw your post.  I lived most of my life about 3 minutes from Langley AFB.  There are real estate companies that deal with primarily relocations.  The entire area is very military friendly.  You have your choice of Hampton, Newport News, Yorktown and Poquoson for good places to live that are easily accessible to the base.  Depending on your kids and what grades they are in, i can give you an idea of what school areas are better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for replying. From reading random reviews of the area it seems like the most popular place is Hampton. I tried talking to some reality companies last month and they said it was too early! I'll wait another week or two and start calling again. Moving blindly is scary..I'm never gonna get used to it. I want a semi-quiet, safe area. Once we find a good house I will feel a lot better! Luckily my DD is not school age so I don't have to worry about that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I work in an after school program in Hampton.  Many of our kids are from Military families and a few have parents stationed at Langley. If you want a city kind of environment I'd go with Hampton.  If you want a bit quieter more small town feel then I'd go with Yorktown.  Between the 2 I would pick Yorktown.  Personally I wouldn't want to live in Newport News or Poquoson.  But that's just me. 

ETA: Someone mentioned checking out the DC/NOVA board.  That's not really our region so you probably won't find people who currently live here, maybe several that used to. 

• Options

imagegillham07:
    Thanks for replying. From reading random reviews of the area it seems like the most popular place is Hampton. I tried talking to some reality companies last month and they said it was too early! I'll wait another week or two and start calling again. Moving blindly is scary..I'm never gonna get used to it. I want a semi-quiet, safe area. Once we find a good house I will feel a lot better! Luckily my DD is not school age so I don't have to worry about that.

How long do you expect to be there?  If it's a few years, school district will be important, and there are some not so good schools in the area.

• Options
    I have lived in the area for 10 years so I know it pretty well. How long will you be stationed here? It all depends on what you are looking for in a place to live. I'm a teacher in Newport News, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We PCS'd to Langley about a year ago. We contacted several real estate companies and didn't get much of a response. It seemed like they weren't interested in showing rental houses. We ended up in TLF for 6 weeks waiting for the new housing to open up. The new housing is nice and is technically in York County so is in a good school system. We were trying to rent in Kiln Creek which is in Newport News and is only a few miles from housing. Coventry is also a nice neighborhood and it backs up to housing. I'd love to live either place. Let me know if I can help with anything.
  • Options
    When DH and I got married and I moved down to VA we lived in Hampton, about 7 minutes from Langley. We ended up moving to VA Beach about 7 months later because we did not like the area in Hampton we were in (plus we had to deal with the tunnel and traffic). We checked out a lot of different places and just decided Hampton wasn't for us. I also don't think I would be crazy about Newport News, and have no opinion on the others pp mentioned. I personally am a fan of south Hampton Roads (hence the VA Beach), but that would be a terrible drive for you. I would like to mention though, that I loved Langley. It's a nice base with nice facilities and a good commissary, oh and an awesome gym. That was one thing I was sad to leave, the nice base :) 
  • Options

Hampton can be very hit or miss.  We were stationed here back in 02 and are here again.  The first time we lived in Hampton and we were young and didn't have kids so it wasn't a big deal.  There are some very nice parts, but they are expensive, and some very scary parts which are obviously the more affordable areas. A rental in Hampton is going to run you anywhere from $1200 to $1800 on average.  York County is significantly more expensive.  You would be hard pressed to find a rental property for less than $2200.  Newport News is a good option but you need to stay north of Mercury.  Anything south is awful.  A really good option might be looking into the Kiln Creek townhouses and seeing what they have available.  Also www.militarybyowner.com has local rentals as well as homes for sale.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need any more info.  We are living on base because we still own a home in FL and didn't want to pay over our BAH. 

• Options

I definitely prefer a quieter, small town environment. I saw a lot of rentals w/in 10 miles of base that were in a woodsy kind of area. Everyone is telling me Hampton is the best choice. Yorktown sounds nice, but if that's the same thing as York County, another bumpie said that is expensive. Our BAH is a little under $1400. And I have heard the same thing about Newport News and Poquoson, thanks for comfirming!

• Options
    imagemysticl:

I work in an after school program in Hampton.  Many of our kids are from Military families and a few have parents stationed at Langley. If you want a city kind of environment I'd go with Hampton.  If you want a bit quieter more small town feel then I'd go with Yorktown.  Between the 2 I would pick Yorktown.  Personally I wouldn't want to live in Newport News or Poquoson.  But that's just me. 

ETA: Someone mentioned checking out the DC/NOVA board.  That's not really our region so you probably won't find people who currently live here, maybe several that used to. 

I definitely prefer a quieter, small town environment. I saw a lot of rentals w/in 10 miles of base that were in a woodsy kind of area. Everyone is telling me Hampton is the best choice. Yorktown sounds nice, but if that's the same thing as York County, another bumpie said that is expensive. Our BAH is a little under $1400. And I have heard the same thing about Newport News and Poquoson, thanks for comfirming!

• Options
    imagerobinsokj:

imagegillham07:

How long do you expect to be there?  If it's a few years, school district will be important, and there are some not so good schools in the area.

We will be there hopefully at least 3-4 years. DD is 6 months old. I figure since we are renting, we could move if we had to to find a good school district. It's not like we haven't done it a lot before! haha...but really it's complicated. We own a home in LA and would like to sell that and/or buy another house, probably in VA. I don't see us renting for several years...but you never know w/ the military.

• Options

imagecpb79:
    I have lived in the area for 10 years so I know it pretty well. How long will you be stationed here? It all depends on what you are looking for in a place to live. I'm a teacher in Newport News, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

That is great to know! In a couple weeks, I'm going to need advice on rentals that I'm considering renting. I will have to repost or message u then. Is your husband military? If so, it's good to know you have been stationed there for 10 yrs! I hear PSC's last at least 4 yrs, but I've heard nightmare stories too. My husband has been retrained into a new field so we don't really know what to expect! He was PCSed at his last base for over 6 yrs. I'm looking for a house, not a condo. We have two dogs, so I need a backyard. And I prefer hard wood floors, but that's getting kind of picky! Hopefully the realty companies will take me serious now that it's only wks away until we move.

• Options

imageCeeMat:
    We PCS'd to Langley about a year ago. We contacted several real estate companies and didn't get much of a response. It seemed like they weren't interested in showing rental houses. We ended up in TLF for 6 weeks waiting for the new housing to open up. The new housing is nice and is technically in York County so is in a good school system. We were trying to rent in Kiln Creek which is in Newport News and is only a few miles from housing. Coventry is also a nice neighborhood and it backs up to housing. I'd love to live either place. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Well I googled Kiln Creek and it looks nice! Probably way out of our BAH ($1400). Good to know about the realty companies. I was getting the same vibe. I will try to stick to militarybyowner.com and I also found a site through USAA.  Thanks for the advice! Have you joined any spouse groups on base?

• Options

imageMarissaM.:
    When DH and I got married and I moved down to VA we lived in Hampton, about 7 minutes from Langley. We ended up moving to VA Beach about 7 months later because we did not like the area in Hampton we were in (plus we had to deal with the tunnel and traffic). We checked out a lot of different places and just decided Hampton wasn't for us. I also don't think I would be crazy about Newport News, and have no opinion on the others pp mentioned. I personally am a fan of south Hampton Roads (hence the VA Beach), but that would be a terrible drive for you. I would like to mention though, that I loved Langley. It's a nice base with nice facilities and a good commissary, oh and an awesome gym. That was one thing I was sad to leave, the nice base :) 

Yay that's good to hear! I love spending time on base. Everyone is usually so friendly, and everything is cheaper!

• Options
    imagejennieliz:

Hampton can be very hit or miss.  We were stationed here back in 02 and are here again.  The first time we lived in Hampton and we were young and didn't have kids so it wasn't a big deal.  There are some very nice parts, but they are expensive, and some very scary parts which are obviously the more affordable areas. A rental in Hampton is going to run you anywhere from $1200 to $1800 on average.  York County is significantly more expensive.  You would be hard pressed to find a rental property for less than $2200.  Newport News is a good option but you need to stay north of Mercury.  Anything south is awful.  A really good option might be looking into the Kiln Creek townhouses and seeing what they have available.  Also www.militarybyowner.com has local rentals as well as homes for sale.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need any more info.  We are living on base because we still own a home in FL and didn't want to pay over our BAH. 

I was told we can't live on base b/c we have a German Shepherd...hence all of this rental stress! But that was some very good advice, thank u! I wish you could be our personal realtor! I need to ask my husband to get a sponsor so someone can help us out over there. That's what so scary about renting blindly...the hit or miss thing w/ the neighborhoods. I have noticed the price range, and am willing to go a little over our BAH if it puts us in a safe neighborhood. I saw some decent rentals for about 1300-1400, but pictures are often misleading (-: Since I got such good feedback here, I will probably repost in a few wks when I have it narrowed down and need to make a decision...and see if yall can help! Thank you!!  And have u had any experiences w/ spouse groups on base? They finally started a good one here at Goodfellow right before I am getting ready to leave. Bummer!

• Options

We couldn't find anything here for less than BAH that compared to the new housing on base but your dog is on the list of dogs they don't allow. We still own our house in NJ so I feel your pain.

I belong to the Langley Enlisted Spouses Club. You can find them on facebook. There is also an officer spouse club if that applies to you. I also belong to PeninsulaMommies. They are a great resource and have boards for all age groups, towns and a military board. There are lots of local playdates and activities.

• Options
    DH is stationed at Langley and we live in Northern Suffolk (close to Portsmouth). DH has about a 20 minute drive to work and the area we live in is the nice and quiet. We love our area because we are close to everything. It's pretty equal distance to the VA Beach and Hampton/Newport News area. We spend more of our time in VA Beach. We are very happy with our area
  • Options
    imageCeeMat:

We couldn't find anything here for less than BAH that compared to the new housing on base but your dog is on the list of dogs they don't allow. We still own our house in NJ so I feel your pain.

I belong to the Langley Enlisted Spouses Club. You can find them on facebook. There is also an officer spouse club if that applies to you. I also belong to PeninsulaMommies. They are a great resource and have boards for all age groups, towns and a military board. There are lots of local playdates and activities.

I was pretty upset when I found out about the dog. It wasn't like that at the last two bases we were stationed at. This is the one time I talked DH into living on base, too! haha...oh well. She's an elderly dog, so when she passes we might think again about moving on base. I feel bad saying that, but it's true.

Good to know about the Langley Spouse group, we are enlisted. The spouse groups here at Goodfellow go by squadron, not by rank (unusual, I know). I will look into attending the one you are in, we will probably meet soon! (-: I've joined some mom groups in the area on meetup.com, but since I dk where I'll be living, I dk if I'll be attending them. I'll have to look into PeninsulaMommies. We go to 09/10/11 playgroups here and Zoey LOVES being around the other babies. She is in awe with other babies. And it gets us out of the house, which I think is important. Thanks for the info!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"