Natural Birth

When to start classes for the Bradley Method?

Hi ladies.  I'll  only be 5 weeks tomorrow, but I'm just wondering how soon DH and I should take the class.  There's only 1 instructor in my area and she limits her classes to 8 couples.  It looks like she only offers the class every 3 months, with the next one starting in the middle of March.  By that point I'll be just into my 2nd trimester.  Do you think that's too early?

Thanks in advance!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!

Re: When to start classes for the Bradley Method?

• Not too early at all! The classes are 12 weeks long, so that's why the teacher only offers them every 3 months. A lot of what they teach in Bradley applies throughout pregnancy (nutrition, exercises, etc), so I think it's more important to avoid taking the class too late. Also, how sure are you about your due date? You can be off + or - a week or more if you weren't charting, so during any early ultrasounds your dr. might change your due date. Depending on that, it sounds like if her next class starts in early June (right after the one starting in March ends) it might work for you too, but any later than that and you might not have enough time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nope, I started mine 4 weeks ago, so about that same time. I am the "youngest" in the class in terms of due dates, but I'm glad that I have more time to prepare.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • Loading the player...
  • EcyEcy member
    I started mine when I was exactly 25 weeks.  This may seem like cutting it close but I find that it's better because the information will be fresh.  I would pre-register for the next set of classes that start after March and in the meantime, you can read some Bradley Method books for the nutrition information, etc.
  • I think 2nd Tri is the perfect time to take the classes. The info on nutrition was really helpful...I love the Brewer's diet!
  • We started ours at around 18 weeks.  We were also the latest due in the class.  But you don't want to take it too late.  Two of the couples missed the last few classes because they went into labor early.  There is a lot of good info that you want to learn and I say the earlier the better.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• We started ours at 25 weeks.  There are 8 couples in the class - almost all are due within 2 weeks of us, if not on the same day.  We finish the class 3 weeks before our due date.  Ask the instructor for her class itinerary - it outlines in detail each of the 12 classes and what you learn. Class 1,2,3 are intro, nutrition, breastfeeding, general pregnancy matters - but the rest are about coaching/labor. I'd want to be closer to my due date for it to be "fresh" in our minds. In the meantime, you can pick up Husband Coached Childbirth and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way to familiarize yourself with the principals etc. (btw Reading HCC is part of the class assignments).

I'd also read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and research Natural Childbirth Classes in your area. Natural Childbirth Classes can be 4 to 12 weeks long, but bring in aspects from multiple natural birth methods. - this class may have a better schedule for you, if available in your area.

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"