Houston Babies
Options

Any SAHMs return to the work force after a few years?

I've been considering starting some freelance work.  Now that both kids are in school, I am getting super bored being at home all the time.  

The problem is, I've been out of the workforce for over 5 years.  My brain feels like it has turned to mush since 2005, and I am filled with self-doubt. I have no idea how to get past it.  And I must say, it was really eye opening to start reading some job postings and seeing all of the new technology that is out there.

I guess this is partially a vent, and partially a cry for commiseration.   Has anyone gone through this and come successfully out the other side?

Re: Any SAHMs return to the work force after a few years?

• Options
    I don't have experience with it, I just wanted to offer support and say go for it!  You're an intelligent woman and I'm certain you'll jump back into the game quickly.  Best of luck!
  • Options

One of our old (as in doesn't work here anymore - not "old") Senior Managers took off about 10 years to get her 3 kids into school, then came back.  It was quite a bit different (I think they were actually preparing tax returns on paper, as opposed to a software program when she started), so it can be challenging, but can be done.  I think once you get back on the horse, things start coming flooding back.  Just expect to have a big learning curve at first for any new items.

Is there any way you can get some new software and just take a few months to play with it during your down time?  That might give you some confidence and also get you up to speed on some of the new tools.  (Sorry - not sure what your expertise is, so not sure if this will exactly work like you want)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageKelleyA:
    I don't have experience with it, I just wanted to offer support and say go for it!  You're an intelligent woman and I'm certain you'll jump back into the game quickly.  Best of luck!

Ditto this. I stayed at home for 18 months so it's not quite the same, but I know how you feel!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

1st if all, you are definitely smart enough to pick up where you left off. However, if you don't feel 100% ready because of changes in the industry, maybe you can occupy some of your time with classes to re-up your skills, either in a school there or on line? 

I don't think I am going to go back to work. At least not to my previous career. For me, being at home when my kids start school is even more important than being home with them at their current ages. I was a latch key kid and I don't want that for my own. That is just a personal preference. 

• Options
    imagerayskit10:

1st if all, you are definitely smart enough to pick up where you left off. However, if you don't feel 100% ready because of changes in the industry, maybe you can occupy some of your time with classes to re-up your skills, either in a school there or on line? 

I was just going to suggest this.

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagerayskit10:

I was just going to suggest this.

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

that's actually why i started teaching last semester...i've been out of the workforce for 3 years, but i didn't want to work full time, nor do i want my degree to become obsolete.

there was a bit of a learning curve, but honestly, i didn't have a hard time getting back in the game.  i did have very supportive coworkers and supervisers though.

Have you seen my monkey?
  • Options

Thanks everyone, especially for the votes of confidence!  My background is in writing/editing/proofreading, so I'm sure I made it sound like there have been many more industry changes than there have been.  However there is some new technology as far as sharing and publishing, and there have been some updates and changes to standards and styles.  Nothing compared to the change from paper to software!

I do still plan on being home for the kids, which is why I'm focusing on freelancing.  I can do it part-time, I can choose jobs that will fit in with my schedule, and I can do it from outside the U.S.  Hopefully by the time we leave the expat life (and paycheck) behind, I'll have some established clients and a good portfolio to build upon.  Luckily, I also am still in contact with several of my past bosses and supervisors, and they've all offered to update their letters of reference for me.  I even have one who still works at my old company who has offered to look in the archives for some of the documents I created, to add to my portfolio.  (I took all of that with me when I left, and I have no idea where any of it is now, 2 babies and an international move later.)

I think you all are right as far as starting slowly.  Like I said, my brain truly doesn't work the way it used to, and writing doesn't come nearly as easily for me as it used to.  So I'm starting off more with editing and proofreading practice, then moving on to doing some writing exercises.  It definitely helps to have the baby steps to make, instead of being overwhelmed with jumping in with both feet.  But I am really excited to challenge myself!

• Options

I job-share so that I can work p/t and my job share partner was a SAHM for 5 years before coming back. My advice based on watching her is don't keep bringing your abscence up over and over and don't express doubts about your abilities in the work place. Our boss was getting really nervous about her because she was my maternity coverage as well and she kept talking about her self-doubts and how long she was out, etc, and I had to reassure him that she could do it and tell her to shut up!

I also freelance for my old company. After being at my new job for 3+ years I had forgotten a lot of the little nit-picky stuff and how to use the databases. My first project was a 40 hour project, but I probably spent another unbillable 5-10 hours just refreshing myself on how to do the job. So even if it's not new technology, expect to have to relearn things you used to know by heart.

- Jena
  • Options
    I was a SAHM for almost three years and just returned to the workforce in November. I tried to stay up to speed with new laws and current events in the industry while I was off - other than having a learning curve with the new company it hasn't been too bad from the work perspective. It is frustrating to realize where I could be in my career (and salary) if I hadn't taken the time off, but still the decision was worth it to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"