Success after IF

XP: Anna update

I'm going to make this as short and factual as possible, because i'm really upset and I don't think i can spend another day crying. Nothing is set in stone yet - but the probabilities are not in our favor.

The bad: There's no progress. Wait - there's worse than no progress... he said it might actually be a little bit worse. So, no more harness.

The good: Well - i guess that's a good thing, because I can put her in clothes again and she can finally wear some of the things that are in her closet. It's also been so long since I could see her naked self every day. I do love being able to see her belly and her feet and being able to rub her back.

He tried her in 2 different kinds of braces.

Medieval Torture Device:

This one is actually his first choice for the second stage of treatment. This isn't the exact brace, but it's the closest picture I could find online. It would look something like this, without the wrap around the waist. Just the cuffs on the thighs (which are a heavy hard plastic) and the metal bar in between. He said there is a reasonable amount of success with kids who are resistant to the pavlik harness with responding to this type of brace. We would try this for 2 weeks, and then if there were still no response, move on to the third stage of treatment.

Bucket Brace:

On a baby:

This is the other brace he tried her in. A little more baby friendly. More of a PVC type material than that hard plastic and it has velcro wraps. Same deal as the first... he would try for 2 weeks, and if there were no response, move on to stage 3. He only considered this brace because the first one didn't fit.

The Worse: The problem with stage 2? Neither one of these braces can fit her. She's still too small, despite being about 7 pounds now. We tried them both on her, and they would both do much more harm than good. He had previously mentioned the possibility of custom making a brace for her, but apparently that would take longer than he's willing to wait.

So, the plan going forward.

For the next 4 weeks, our assignment is to just enjoy our baby. She's not in any brace, harness or anything. He says that putting her in something that isn't working can do more harm than good, which is probably what happened with this week's ultrasound. So, we can dress her, bathe her and just go about our business.

In 4 weeks we'll go back for another ultrasound and office visit and hope she is big enough for the 1st brace (the one with the bar). She'll live in that for 2 weeks. At that point, we'll go back and check her progress. If there's progress, yay. If she doesn't show any progress, it's plan b.

If at the end of the 4 weeks, she still isn't big enough for either brace, it's also onto plan b.

Plan B is my nightmare.

Well, plan b is my bad dream. plan C is my nightmare.

Plan B is a closed reduction of the hips. She will get put under general anesthesia, taken to the OR where dye will be injected into her hips and they will be manually placed in the sockets. She will then be placed in a full body cast for the next 3 months. 

If the closed reduction doesn't work or isn't possible, we go to plan C. Where they actually open up her hips and do the reduction from the inside. Plan C wouldn't happen until she was at least 9 months old. She would still be in a full body cast for 3 months.

The cast looks like that. There's an opening for a diaper, which has to be tucked all the way inside the cast, and then a pull up goes over it on the outside. While she's in the cast, i wouldn't be able to use CDs. So, now i'm also researching which diapers have the fewest chemicals, so I know what diapers we'll have to use should we reach this point.

Before anyone tells me that she'll be fine and this is the best thing for her - i know that. It doesn't make the prospect of knowing your 7 pound baby is more than likely going to need surgery any easier to deal with. I also know she won't remember any of this and she'll come through it just fine. 

But she's my perfect little baby, and knowing your little girl is going to be in pain is a very difficult thing to deal with.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
The Dandelion Archive
"If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: XP: Anna update

• Oh Gen I am so sorry. I dont even know what to say. Poor little Anna! I hope everything works out for the best. T&Ps.
    TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hugs Gen - We'll keep her in our prayers.
    Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry you guys are going threw this. Your right about it being very scary to think your little one is going to need surgery. My hope is that it won't come to that and that in another 4 weeks one of the braces will fit and work. Lots of good thoughts for you and your girl. I hope you are able to enjoy her babyness for the next 4 weeks, without to much worry. ((((HUGS))))
  • I am so sorry this is happening.  I am hoping it doesn't come to Option C.

Enjoy your next few weeks and grow baby grow!!!!  I hope she gets nice and chubby so she can fit into the best brace.

• I am so sorry. Sending my thoughts and prayers to you. You are one strong mama.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh, wow.  That is a lot to deal with as a new parent!  I'm so sorry.  I hope you don't have to get to the point of Plan C.  I can't imagine what you're going through, I'm sorry.  Thinking of you and Anna!
  • Bless your heart and hers. I can't imagine the hell you guys are going through. ((HUGS))
  • I am so sorry.  I was really hoping she was going to make some process with that harness.  I'll be keeping little Anna and her mommy and daddy in my thoughts.
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. You and Anna will be in my prayers and I hope you never have to move to plan B or C.
    After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  I don't know what else to say.  I just hope all goes well.  
  • Of course you feel awful about this - my gosh, I would too!  The only thing I can say, and I know it might not make you feel better and you've probably heard it a zillion times, is...at her age she won't know the difference.  It will be so much harder on you than on her.  Just look at the babies in those pictures - they both look pretty carefree and happy in spite of being so confined! 

But I totally get why you're a mess about this.  I would be too, no matter what anyone said to me.

I'm hoping Plan A works like a charm!

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so sorry.  I can not even imagine how you are feeling.  I will be praying that it will not come to surgery.  ((HUGS))
  • ((((((hugs))))))
    After 5 years of TTC, 3 IUIs, 5 IVFs, 2 FETs, multiple losses and an adoption that wasn
  • Genna, I am so so sorry to hear this. I feel so horrible for her & you guys - poor baby Anna. I know this must be scary for all of you. Sending prayers & hugs your way.
  • Poor Anna and poor Mommy. I hope that things improve but if not, then know that we will be here for you. I can only imagine how hard that would be.
  • Thank you for the update.  We'll say an extra prayer for her!  Lots of love to you & your family.
  • Lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way for Anna.
  • At this point "that sucks" is all I can say.  I'll pray for progress and I'm so sorry this is happening.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am just so sorry about this.  It really is more than any mom should have to deal with.  I'm praying for all of you!
    Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ((((HUGS))))
  • Oh Gen...I am so so so very sorry. My heart is sick just thinking about it. Anna is so very lucky to have you as her mommy as she goes through all of this. It must be so hard. Give her a big snuggle from all of us. (((hug)))
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

• Huge Hugs Gen!   Hoping she is big enough for either brace in a few weeks and you can avoid having surgery!
  • Oh lady, I'm sorry you guys are dealing with this. I've worked peds ortho, (and been a patient myself) and those kids are some of the strongest most resilient kids out there. I've got to imgine that you're dealing with 7lbs of fight there, GL with this journey, and enjoy your brace break! (I wore a brace for scoliosis for 7 years, even an HOUR off was pure joy!!!)

(oddly enough, don't be surprised if she does not sleep very well at 1st, I know I didn't when I got my back brace off - I had to learn how to get comfy again!)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Gen -

I am so sorry that you all are going throught this. I hope Anna grows in the next few weeks, and I hope you don't have to go with option C.

3 yrs ttc, 3ivfs, 4 iuis and finally a baby boy! And then a girl to follow. 2 under 2!
  • I am so sorry Gen.

Sending tons of T&Ps to you and Anna.

(((((hugehugs))))) 

Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • I'm so sorry Gen! I'm sure it must be torture watching your baby go through so much.  HUGS! 
  • I am SO sorry you guys are dealing with this, I can't imagine...i hope so much she is big enough for the braces, and that you don't have to go through any surgery...

for now, i am so thankful that you get to enjoy your little girl without any braces or cast, just as a regular little love..

((hugs))  

Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
  • I am truly soo sorry. I know that these words don't really mean much..but I am thinking and praying for you, Anna and your family. 
  • THank you so much ladies. I really appreciate the support!!
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • (((HUGS))) 
  • This is so unfair.   {{{hugs}}}
  • ((hugs))  I think of you guys and of little Anna often.

• Thinking of Anna! I'm so sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. HUGS!!
  • Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
  • Oh goodness! How scary for you. I am hoping for the best possible option for you and Anna. BIG (((((HUGS))))))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i am so sorry - you and little Anna are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that everything works with the least intervention........

for the the disposable diapers so far I found that the pampers sensitive brand works well for dd - she has not had any rash or anything so far and they are not super bulky....

• (((hugs)))
  • Oh Gen, I so sorry little Anna has to go through all this.  Huge hugs to you - you've been through a lot and I'm sure you are feeling overwhelmed right now.  I'll be praying that the new braces fit and work in a few weeks.
  • Oh no!  I so hate to see this.  I'm really sorry the harness didn't help.  I really hope one of the braces does the trick. 

Enjoy your sweet girl over the next four weeks, and you'll be in my thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"