Iowa Babies
Options

Are there any VBAC positive Drs in DesMoines, Ankeny, Ames?

Hello. I am looking for a doctor and midwife in the Des Moines, Ankeny, or Ames areas that are supportive and encouraging for VBACs. Does anyone know of any physicians in the area? I know several now that support it on paper, but don't really support it in person. I'm looking for a physician that truly supports VBAC deliveries.

Thanks,

Re: Are there any VBAC positive Drs in DesMoines, Ankeny, Ames?

• Options

Hi Raine 104-

Dr. Melinda Hansen with Women's Health Services is very supportive as well as the other doc's in the office.  They have two clinics, one in Clive and the other in Ankeny. 

• Options

Glad to hear this. This is the office I am going to, but my first appt isn't until Thurs, Dec 2nd. I was going to talk to them about it then. I get to see Dr. Hansen that day too! Thanks for the info!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I go to the Iowa Clinic out in West Des Moines(they have an office down town) THey are very big on vaginal births period. I've never had a C-section I should probably with my DD(I had pree and she showed signs of major distress) but my doctors were trying to avoid one at all cost. They did end up last minute wanting to move me to emergency c-section but instead my doctor said hold on and grabbed the vacuum and pulled my daughter out with in a few minutes and probably saved her life. I know Mercy hospital is big on making you try to have a vaginal delivery even after having a c-section. So make sure you check out the hospital your delivery at too. I've heard from a few friends that Methodist tends to just go ahead and do the c-section. 
  • Options

I am going to the Iowa Clinic in WDM and had a c-section with my first pregnancy.  They told me that for the 2nd, I could try VBAC or schedule a c-section.  If I schedule a c-section I could go to any hospital (including the new ones in WDM), but if I try VBAC then I need to go downtown. 

The doctors were encouraging me to do whichever I wanted to try.  

• Options
    I've subsequently been dropped (at 26 weeks) by my physician group (because I want to attempt a VBAC). I have contacted Women's Health Services. They will not take me as a patient unless I have an elective c-section. With NO physical reason why I can't deliver vaginally. This is very frustrating.
  • Options
    The Iowa Clinic would not take me either. At this point 28 weeks, I'm wondering if there are ANY phycians with brains out there. They cite uterine rupture as their reason. However, the risks of a rupture are extremely low if you do not use induction drugs!!! A real (natural) birth has much less chance of problems to both the mother and baby than a c-section (which carries a much higher probability of problems and death). I realize that this is an insurance game that they are playing (they don't want to be sued), however they are supposed to look after the health of their patients. I'm sorry for ranting. I have taught in medical schools for years, so this is extremely frustrating for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"