North Carolina Babies

How and when did you start solids?

I'm nervous and have idea how or when to start.  DS is mesmorized by watching me eat and I know we will have to start someday.  Currently, DS is EBF.

1. When and how did you start?

2. Is there a book, website or other resource you'd recommend for guidance?

3.  When should I use a high chair?

4.  Any other tips for getting started?

TIA!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How and when did you start solids?

• 1. We started a few weeks ago, she was a little over 4 months.

2. We had a sample of rice cereal that gave us a guide to how much to give her. Plus wholesomebabyfood.com or kellymom have some resources. The first time you only give about 1 Tbsp or so. We're still only giving her just a little bit at bedtime. I am BF-ing too, so I feed her a bit of cereal, then BF afterwards as normal.

3. I'm not sure. We're going to buy one within the next few weeks when we start giving her fruits and veggies.

4. Maybe invest in some wipeable bibs? We only have cloth ones and she makes a mess. Good luck! Sydney loved both the rice and oatmeal, but the rice cereal made her a little gassy, so we are just doing oatmeal now.

Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. When and how did you start? We started cereal (oatmeal) between 4-5 months and baby food around 6 months...but some people jump right into baby food.2. Is there a book, website or other resource you'd recommend for guidance? Definitely check out: https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ (best guide ever!!!)3.  When should I use a high chair? We started around 4-5 months with the high chair, and sometimes used the Bumbo for feeding.4.  Any other tips for getting started? Only just with a little cereal/oatmeal and make it thin to start with, add breast milk/formula...ETA: We had much better luck with oatmeal!
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. When and how did you start? We got the go ahead at our 4 mth appt, but I waited until he was closer to 5 months.  We started with rice cereal and oatmeal.  He hated both, so we just jumped to vegetables from there.

2. Is there a book, website or other resource you'd recommend for guidance? I just relied on some of my friends for most of the info.

3.  When should I use a high chair? We have a space saver high chair, so we used it as soon as we started solids.  It reclined when he wasn't fully sitting up unassisted.

4.  Any other tips for getting started? We just kinda jumped in.  Just be sure to allow 3-4 days in between introducing new foods.

• 1. When and how did you start? We started a week or two ago with rice cereal (didn't like it) so the next week we did oatmeal and he loves it!  We followed the directions on the box for the first feeding and we just give it to him at dinner while we eat.

2. Is there a book, website or other resource you'd recommend for guidance? I got the book 100 Top Baby Purees, since I'm going to try and make my own food and it has some helpful information in the front.  wholesomebabyfoods.com is also a good resource like the others said.

3.  When should I use a high chair? We bought a high chair like a week before we started, and sat him in it to get him used to it.  We also have a bumbo with a tray but haven't used it for feeding yet.

4.  Any other tips for getting started?  Just watch your DS for his thrusting tongue reflex, if he keeps pushing the food out, just try again in a week until he's ready.  DS did that with the rice cereal but the next week he was gobbling down the oatmeal.

0Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJuberP:

I'm nervous and have idea how or when to start.  DS is mesmorized by watching me eat and I know we will have to start someday.  Currently, DS is EBF.

1. When and how did you start? We started with rice cereal a little after 5 months.  Once he was interested in our food, holding his head up well and seemed a little hungry even after nursing - I felt he was ready. 

2. Is there a book, website or other resource you'd recommend for guidance? I love wholesomebabyfood.com since I am making all of his food and it provided good guidance for the right foods to begin with as well as answered questions.  I also bought First Meals at the consignment sale and it has good ideas for combining veggies/fruit.

3.  When should I use a high chair?  We got the high chair out when we started him on solids, but did not use it until a few weeks later.  I used the bouncer and bumbo for a while.

4.  Any other tips for getting started? Be aware of constipation issues.  DS is EBF, so once we started rice cereal and fruit like bananas we had some trouble.  Also, your LO will go at her own pace for starting solids...it should be just for practice since most of her nuitrition comes from breastmilk or formula.  I tried not to stress if DS did not eat much.

TIA!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"