Military Families

Flying Space-A

Hi Ladies,

I'm not usually on this board (I frequent 12-24 instead), but I am an Army wife and I have a question.

My Mom is having surgery next week and I want to get a flight out to help her out, but booking on such short notice is ridiculously expensive.  I want to look into Space-A, but I don't even know where to begin to get a flight.  Can someone tell me if it would be possible to get a flight from Fort Benning, GA to Hill AFB, UT?  How would I go about it?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Flying Space-A

• I can't tell you anything about space-a, but you can call the airline of your choice and see if they offer military discounts. Depending on where you are flying out of/into, airlines often offer major discounts on flights to AD and dependents. DH and I flew home with two days notice for less than $300 for the two of us.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can look up space A flights I believe on military.com and it has a phone number you will need to call since they do not want it to be information everyone can get to. I have never used it but I have a friend on base who books them. He says that sometimes you have to drive to different bases to get on them and they can take days of waiting to even make the list.
  • Loading the player...
  • Unless you are stationed overseas, you are not eligible to fly Space A without your DH in tow.

This is the direct link to the Eligibility Rules https://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/spaceatravelcategories.asp

And unless you are Cat III (ie your DH is deployed) you cannot hop between bases.  Now, if your flight starts in Germany, goes to Charleston and then on to another base, you can go all the way to the last base or get off at any stop between. 

Also, you cannot get a schedule of the flights more than 3 days in advance.  You will have to call each base or use one of the non-profit sites (AMCs do not post flights) like Peppard.com.

Finally, you will need a letter from your DH's commander authorizing your use of the Space A flights, will only have 90 days per letter and may have to wait days for your flight, since these flights are not daily. 

Now, I use Space A 2-3 times a year, but I never use it for specific travel, only when I have free time to waste.  This is not an entitlement or even a benefit per se...just a that pretty candy on the icing of the cake. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Your husband would have to travel with you because you cannot travel Space-A in the continental US with out your sponsor.  Also, flight's are not direct, they are determined by where the transport planes are needed.  So you might be able to leave out of Fort Benning but the closest you can get is Colorado Springs, CO and then you would have to rent a car and drive.  It's probably easier to book a ticket on a major airline. 
  • Thanks.  I booked a regular flight this morning.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageIlumine:

Unless you are stationed overseas, you are not eligible to fly Space A without your DH in tow.

This is the direct link to the Eligibility Rules https://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/spaceatravelcategories.asp

And unless you are Cat III (ie your DH is deployed) you cannot hop between bases.  Now, if your flight starts in Germany, goes to Charleston and then on to another base, you can go all the way to the last base or get off at any stop between. 

Also, you cannot get a schedule of the flights more than 3 days in advance.  You will have to call each base or use one of the non-profit sites (AMCs do not post flights) like Peppard.com.

Finally, you will need a letter from your DH's commander authorizing your use of the Space A flights, will only have 90 days per letter and may have to wait days for your flight, since these flights are not daily. 

Now, I use Space A 2-3 times a year, but I never use it for specific travel, only when I have free time to waste.  This is not an entitlement or even a benefit per se...just a that pretty candy on the icing of the cake. 

Thanks, I have always wondered this as well. This is great information!

TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
    9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
    9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
    11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
    One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
    Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
    5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
    8/2012 Started seeing new RE
    9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
    9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
    10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
    2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
    3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"