Stay at Home Moms

toddler and infant - strategy to unload from car?

My DD will have just turned 2.5 years old when I have this LO in May.  What are your tips for unloading both of them from the car in a busy parking lot?  Who to take out first?  Where to put them?

A 3 year old in my city was hit and killed in a parking lot this past week.  So tragic. 

I don't trust my toddler enough to stay close to me while I unload the baby.  But I saw a Mom set her baby's carseat on the ground next to the car while she unloaded her toddler - and this also made me nervous.  I've seen cars whip into a parking spot, and they never would have seen the baby's car seat on the ground. 

I have a two-door Sunfire which is a bit of a pain.  Would love to hear how other mamas handle this. 

Re: toddler and infant - strategy to unload from car?

• I've been through this with 3 kids. I always take the baby carrier out first and put it on the ground. The baby isn't going to run anywhere. Then I get the oldest out, then my middle one (she is my "runner"). 

I did train all 3 of my kids that they needed to have their "HANDS ON THE CAR" when we were LOADING into the car in a parking lot. BEST. ADVICE. EVER. All 3 stand next to each other with one hand on the driver's door and wait until I open the doors (automatic on my minivan). Then they load in.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:

I did train all 3 of my kids that they needed to have their "HANDS ON THE CAR" when we were LOADING into the car in a parking lot. BEST. ADVICE. EVER. All 3 stand next to each other with one hand on the driver's door and wait until I open the doors (automatic on my minivan). Then they load in.

GL! 

This makes GREAT sense and is an awesome idea but I can't help but crack up at the idea - I picture them with their hands on the car, ala "Cops" or something.  Too funny. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I always get baby out first, then toddler. (and get toddler in first then baby) When I had baby in carrier, I put it at my feet between me and car while I get toddler in or out. 
  • I park next to the cart corral or wherever and get a cart. I load the toddler intothe front of the cart then wheel it around and get the infant in the carrier and pilot him in the back of the cart. If I'm not using a cart, I put the moby on in the car, get the infant in it, pull out the stroller and put the toddler in it. No on touches the ground in either if these scenarios. Don't know if it will work for you with a much older toddler. GL
  • Dumb autocorrect just made my post a little odd. :-)
  • Can you set the baby carseat on the front passenger seat while you unload toddler and then just go grab the carrier? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I get baby out first- I usually wear him everywhere. Then take Gisele out (2.5yr old). She knows to hold my hand every second until we get to a cart where she sits. Now getting back in- she goes in first and I get her buckeled- and then I get DS out of the ERgo and in his seat.  I do not take the infant carseat in stores- so the only time I take the bucket out of the car is when i am going to and from my house- in which case I put him in/take him out first and then Gisele.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • thanks for asking as this is one thing I am really worrying about.  Our garage doesn't enter the house either so I am stressing about loading and unloading.  And, I have manual locks on my car so I have to physically unlock the front door, then reach in and unlock the back door.  Soon, that will mean on both sides. :p this is one reason DH wants to get me a new car.  Anyhow, thanks. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We also instituted the HANDS ON CAR rule early on, way before DS was born we worked on it when it was just teh two of us, and it was a lifesaver. 

I wore DS at that age so got him out and strapped him on, then got DD out. I can trust DD to stay on one place with her hadn on the car. 

• Just an FYI - I parked near a cart corral once and will never do it again. I got my car "dinged" (and we have new cars). People don't pay attention when they are putting away or getting shopping carts.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • My toddler is generally last out, first in.  Because of the reason you stated about the possibility of wandering into traffic.  Its tricky at first but you'll get the hang of it.  The other option is to go get a cart (depending on where you are) and then put the toddler in that and then put the baby in (or wear him/her). 

P.S. I wouldn't put a car seat on the ground.  The car seat is either in the stroller (eye level) or in a shopping cart and either way its very close to me.  Bottom line - you'll learn to move quickly and park away from other cars just to have a little space.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:
    Just an FYI - I parked near a cart corral once and will never do it again. I got my car "dinged" (and we have new cars). People don't pay attention when they are putting away or getting shopping carts.
    We have a new car too and so far I haven't noticed anything but yes this could be a major drawback!
  • This used to freak me out and then I got the hang of it.  Now, DS is out of the infant seat so it's all changing but when he was in the infant seat, I took the infant seat out and set on the ground then got my toddler out.  To get back in the car, she goes first then the infant seat.  To get in the house, the infant seat went inside first, then my toddler.

Now that DS is in a convertible seat, I can't carry him around in the carseat anymore.  This is something I didn't expect for a long time but he outgrew the infant seat.  By the time DD did, she was walking so it's a whole new ballgame now.  I haven't been anywhere with them alone yet where they needed to go in a cart etc but to get them in the car (if I have them both at the same time), I have DS on my hip and DD's walking holding my hand.  I put Ds in his seat, then DD and buckle her, then go back to buckle DS in.  DD would climb all over the backseat if I set her in and went to put DS in so he goes first but I am holding on to DD's hand so I can't buckle him yet.  Still following?

Yeah, it's hard and I get where you are coming from!!  Good luck and you will make it work!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:

I've been through this with 3 kids. I always take the baby carrier out first and put it on the ground. The baby isn't going to run anywhere. Then I get the oldest out, then my middle one (she is my "runner"). 

GL! 

This exactly.  We always take the baby out first and put the toddler in first.  The baby won't go anywhere but the toddler could take off running.  If for whatever reason I need to put the baby in first or we can't get in the car right away we do the hands on the car.  She isn't allowed to take her hand off the car until I put her in her carseat.  We've never had an issue so far.  And my DD is only 2 and still understand this concept!

• I totally understand where you're coming from.  I also couldn't trust my 2 year old to stick close to me or keep hands on the car - she was just too unpredictable and unreliable at that age.  Now, at 3, she knows the 'rule' - always a hand on me or the stroller when in a parking lot of ANY sort, but at that age she couldn't be trusted.  At that time, I would unbuckle her from her carseat first, then let her climb across the backseat to get out from LO's side after I'd pulled her out (either into bjorn or in infant seat).  Maybe this strategy would work for you?  The biggest problem was that sometimes she'd go crazy and bounce all around the car, play, pretend to drive, and I'd spend another 10 minutes trying to get her out. :)  But it was rare, and certainly a better alternative than having her running off and getting hit, which is what I was so afraid of.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I park next to the cart corral and take my toddler out first.  Reason being- my youngest has raynaud's and the more I can keep her out of the cold the better.  Getting back in the car- toddler first not buckled in.  Then I put the baby in the car and buckle her.  Then I go back to the toddler to buckle her in.  My oldest is very specific about the way we do things so this system works for us the best without tantrums.

We also do hands on the car... 

• I don't like being rushed, so I always park in a somewhat "empty" area of the parking lot.  I actually feel safer and more visible in case someone tries to pull something.  If its well lit and near a cart corral, even better.  This way, there is more space to unload and less likelihood(in my opinion) of somone not being able to see my little ones behind other cars.  If there is a cart in the cart corral(which I lookout for), then I can sit my older DS inside of it while I unload the baby.  We also willl use the "hands on car" rule if appropriate.  When loading them in, I let my oldest crawl inside and work on getting into his seat while I head to the other side to load the baby.   
    Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
  • Engage the child locks on the back doorsso the toddler can't open the door. Let the toddler crawl in the car and put the baby in. Then strap the toddler in.
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:

I've been through this with 3 kids. I always take the baby carrier out first and put it on the ground. The baby isn't going to run anywhere. Then I get the oldest out, then my middle one (she is my "runner"). 

GL! 

I do the "hands on the car" thing too and it really works wonders.  They learn pretty fast that is what is expected. 

• Start teaching the 2yo to climb in by herself.  I nanny for a now almost 3 yo and I open the door for her, put the baby in while she is getting settled, then go buckle her (she can do but not undo the top buckle of her seat).  Getting out, I do the baby first and carry, stroller, or Ergo her.  Then the stuff, then the toddler so we can go.  It's tricky now with having to put on coats and hats and such.  The more the older one can do on their own, the better.  Even if it takes longer because it's hard to carry two diaper bags, a bag of groceries, a wiggly 20 lb baby, my keys, and help her put on her coat or shoes or whatever.  Not impossible though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"