South Florida Babies
Options

Thawed breastmilk question

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking here and there, but between going back to work and spending as much time with Javy all the other times, there isn't enough time in the day!

I'm home with Javy today because the sitter is sick. The problem is all the frozen milk I put in the fridge last night to thaw for bottles today! I should dump it, right? I  know it's good for 24 hours, but I wonder if using it for his daytime feedings tomorrow would be pushing the limit. Or I suppose I could feed him from a bottle and pump, but I'd much rather nurse since I have the opportunity to be with him. What do you think?

Re: Thawed breastmilk question

• Options

Ouch.  I wouldn't offer it more than 24 hours after it's thawed. 

Do you freeze all of your pumped milk?  It depends on your schedule of course.  But since BM is good in the fridge for 6 days or so, you can offer fresh milk for the feedings when you are working instead of freezing it.

Fresh BM actually is better for immune purposes than frozen milk.  Freezing destroys some of the immune properties.  Also if you are exposed to a cold on Monday, your body starts making antibodies pretty quickly.  So the milk you pump after being exposed can help prevent the baby from getting sick.  But if you are using milk that was pumped the week before or 2 months before, it doesn't have those same antibodies to that specific cold.

Some women are able to make a go of it using milk they pump for the next day's feedings.  They have a small freezer stash for emergencies and what not but the baby mostly receives fresh milk

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm going to start using fresh milk as much as possible. It hurts to dump that thawed milk, but we'll move on. At least I get to be with my baby today. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yeah, being with baby does help to over come the loss of the BM.  :)  You worked hard for that stuff!

Enjoy your day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"