VBAC
Options

caster oil....please help

I just got back from the doc...basically I left bawling...if I dont go into labor on my own within the next 7 days I will need to have a repeat c/s

she told me to try caster oil...I can't seem to get it down....anyone know of a good recepie

Re: caster oil....please help

• Options

I've heard some nasty things about using castor oil, for the record.  However, I've heard mixing it in orange juice is a possibility.

Thought about trying acupuncture?  I'd personally try that route before I went to the castor oil.  A lot can happen in 7 days!!!!  (hugs)  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

thanks papagena

Im getting my a$$ handed to me on 3rd tri

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSNL0605:

thanks papagena

Joy of joys.  How different the rules are for some VBACers...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was in the same situation you are in now.  My Dr. told me to try this as a last resort or a RCS would be best. 

I drank it not once, but twice (2 nights in a row).  The first time it didn't do anything, the second time I drank it mixed with Lemonade and lots of ice.  It's disgusting so I would pinch my nose to get it down w/out gagging.  It did work as it was supposed to but never put me into labor. 

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.  

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageSNL0605:

thanks papagena

Yikes!  Just looked over on the 3rd tri board... not pretty.  I did a quick google search and found this:

https://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/technique/castor.html 

there is a recipe for a float (sounds yummy) -

2oz. of oil with a cup of ice cream and 8oz. of coke... kind of like a root beer float 

Good luck on everything.  I hope that you get a vbac :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just replied in your thread - you do not deserve that.  I'm in the same boat as you, but my RCS is scheduled for Friday.  I've been crying all day.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options

thanks for the kind responses here! I guess those on the 3rd tri are in attack mode today.

*here's hoping and praying!*

• Options
    Do you have a breast pump that you can use to try nipple stimulation to start contractions?  I'm sorry you're in a place of last resorts.  I had to switch from my midwives office to an OB and a different hospital at 34 weeks to get an extra week and a day for a deadline.  :-(
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options

Oh man that post pissed me off.  All those chicks flaming you who clearly don't know sh!t about VBAC or the restrictions that most doctors place on VBAC mothers.  

grrrrrr 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Also, you can not show up for the c/s. I've had people not show-up for inductions or c/s lots. Not to "recommend" that, but they can't force you to do anything...Also, most states won't allow an OB to drop you w/o a 2 (or more) week notice after 36 weeks, so also don't be scared that that might happen.
    High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    thank you ladies for the kindness and the advice! I appreciate it!
  • Options
    I don't have advice- I didn't try castor oil the first time, but I wish I had- but I just wanted to send you some labor inducing vibes and let you know I'll be thinking of you!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I hope it works for you. I have never tried it, but sometimes wish I had.

The post was mean, but not worth getting into the middle of. Most of the women on these boards are first time moms and won't really know how they feel about everything until they actually go through it. Some of them will love their c/s and some of them will be joining us over here in another year or so, asking for advice on castor oil.

They are also not understanding that you have TWO two year olds and a 4year old and are adding a third. A surgery is not ideal for you.

Good Luck! Please keep us posted.

• Options
    ugh, good god that was a jerky thread. Sorry you got put through the ringer. Good, good luck and many labor vibes your way!!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I had women flame me when I took castor oil for my vbac. Let mr just say those who are flaming do not know what they are talking about! I would trust your doc more than some girl on here. Castor oil will not cross the placenta your baby will not crap their brains out. Your risk of fetal distress is no greater than any other form of labor augmentation. That said I mixed mine with oj it tasted like lipstick, just 2 TBS. You could try mixing it into a chocolate shake. I had a few hours of diarrhea and then thought it didn't work but about 6 hrs after taking my water broke and contractions were strong and productive. Good luck!
  • Options

Butting in from another board, but I did take castor oil to induce my labor with DS.

Personally I would only take it as a last resort.  If I had to do it again, I would choose a pit induced labor because my experience was horrible.  As a VBAC I understand that a pit induction is often not an option.

I had terrible diarrhea, intestinal cramps, contractions that were right on top of each other (so frequent that the lady at the check in though I might deliver right in front of her) and vomiting.  My DS also passed meconium.

Some words of advice.  Take the castor oil in the morning, do not take it at night.  If it works you will likely be up all night on the toilet.  Have pedialyte on hand, drink this instead of water, the diarrhea will mess up your electrolytes and your body may not be able to properly absorb the water that you drink.  Dehydration can make labor much more painful (and can stress the baby causing meconium), pedialyte should help to prevent this.

Also, castor oil only works if your body is ready to go into labor.  If it is not you will likely get some (maybe all) of the nasty side effects, but no labor.  

Thomas ~ 07/07/2008 ~ 8 lbs, 5 oz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

What's in my camera bag: Nikon D5000, Kit Lens 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G, Tamron 28-75mm, SB 600 Speedlight

Global Developmental Delay consisting of a receptive language delay and self help skills delay

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"