North Carolina Babies
Options

Second C/S: Truth or False?

I heard from a friend that 2nd, 3rd, and so on C/Ss take longer because of the scar tissue.  Has anyone experienced this or heard this as well. 

My friend said her first C/S took 15 minutes and an hour the 2nd time.  I had no clue about that.

I'm all for a repeat C/S.  I haven't even considered a VBAC and don't plan on it at all, but I'm just a little curious if this time difference is true.

The beauty of a planned C/S is knowing what to expect (hopefully!).

Any thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Second C/S: Truth or False?

• Options
    I honestly don't remember - I know my 2nd one was pretty quick though - it was scheduled for 8AM and Zachary was born at 8:37AM - pretty good IMO. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'll be curious to see what others have to say as I haven't experienced a 2nd csection, but I could see it taking a lil longer then the first since there will be scar tissue and previous incisions but for it to be an hour compared to 15 min seems really extreme. I may be wrong but that just seems like a big difference.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with akpriss, I was on that table FOREVER the first time so I have no expectation of them being done quickly. 15 min from start to finish, or just to get the baby out? I even asked the nurse, what is taking so long, and wanted a progress report, the sewing/stapling up portion seemed to take forever. I really don't care how long it takes, as long as it goes well, that is all I care about!
  • Options
    I have also heard it can take longer due to going through scar tissue. They got Keira out really quickly but it took almost an hour to get get stitched up after. I can't imagine it taking TOO much longer to get the baby out though.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

imagedbertagni:
    I really don't care how long it takes, as long as it goes well, that is all I care about!

I feel the same way, but just curious if others experienced a difference in the how long the actual surgery took.

Cate, sounds like yours went really smoothly!

• Options
    I have no idea...I'm interested to find out, though. Not that it really matters. I went in for my c/s at 6:30am and Wesley was born at 7:38am. I didn't come out to recovery until after 8:30am. I must've been a mess or something...LOL.
  • Options
    imagestarz080:

imagedbertagni:
    I really don't care how long it takes, as long as it goes well, that is all I care about!

I feel the same way, but just curious if others experienced a difference in the how long the actual surgery took.

Cate, sounds like yours went really smoothly!

It did - everyone was on time!  I should add that I was in recovery by 9:30ish.  It does take a while to stitch me back up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't remember there being any big time difference between my two.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    i'd say overall that is untrue.
    i think the biggest factor is the doctor.
    they can go as quickly or slowly as they want to.
    im sure other minor factors affect the overall time also.
    as a patient, i want the doctor to take as long as they need to and stitch things up nice and neat. :)
  • Options

Ack! I didn't even realize it could take that long! Mine was an emergency c/s and it was with general anesthesia, so I have no memory of it.

I guess I better be patient this time around... 

• Options

I think my first one took roughly an hour, start to finish, and they were moving pretty fast.  I don't remember a ton because I was exhausted and drugged.

The second one took an hour and 15 minutes, and included tubal ligation (Dr told me that part takes only 5 minutes or so!).

Mine might have taken a little longer because I have a fibroid that's all twisty in there...Dr said it was a little more complicated because of that.

I'm sure it depends on each person's situation.  I'm amazed at a 15 minute procedure, though - did that include the stapling??  Wow!

Married - October 16, 2005
    Mama to William Nathaniel - October 7, 2006

And Natalie Frances - June 24, 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"