Houston Babies

STTN help please!!

DS just won't sleep through the night, but a lot has happened so I understand it's more that he is used to waking up at night at this point. So, everything was fine up until he was about 4 months old, he is 10 months now. Around 4 months old he developed reflux, but at first we thought he was waking at night due to new milestones, so we would feed him at night to get him back to sleep until it got to the point he was waking up 5 times a night. In the meantime he was developing ear infections, almost every couple weeks he would have a new one. So now we are at the point where DS will wake up anywhere between one and four times a night and we have a very difficult time getting him back to sleep. Most nights we just give him a bottle because it puts him back asleep pretty quickly. I know he is capable of STTN, but I'm not sure how to get him to do this. He refuses a pacifier, sometimes he wakes because he is stuck in the bottom of the crib, so that I understand. I know he goes to sleep with a fully belly too. He is getting ear tubes and his adenoids removed in a few weeks, we are hoping this will help him out. Should I try the CIO method or is there another way? I just want 8 hours of straight sleep....even 6 would be fine.

Re: STTN help please!!

• Oh goodness, I don't really know what to tell you. DD is 10 1/2 months and she still wakes up periodically and those nights are not fun, so I feel your pain. Have you made sure that he is properly medicated before putting him to bed (if he's teething or have an ear infection)? Does he seem like he's in pain?

Have you tried giving him a solid, cereal or something more hearty before his last bottle? If a bottle is putting him to sleep pretty quickly,maybe he just need more food, something besides bm or formula.

Many of the moms here have sung the praises of Babywise, have you tried that?

Good luck I hope you get everything worked out very soon.  

image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • Is he being treated for his reflux? Feeding him at night may console him, but then make his reflux way worse. The ear and throat are connected so that could explain all of the ear infections. When the fluid backs up in his throat it affects his ears. That in turn can affect his breathing - hence why he may not take a paci.

Evan has reflux too and on nights when it is bad he tugs at his ears and cries a lot of the night. We had the same thing happen last night.

Getting your little guys adenoids removed and treating the reflux should help a lot. Until then, see if you can use a bed wedge to angle his crib matress. Also, ask your doctor if there is anything you can do for the pain.

Good luck! I hope you get some sleep soon.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Loading the player...
  • If you know he is in pain from the reflux and ear infections, I would definitely not let him CIO. He is hurting and wants comfort. After the surgery, if things don't improve, then you might look at some kind of sleep training. I recommend both the No Cry Sleep Solution and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. Read them in the weeks leading up to the surgery so you have a plan of attack when he is ready.
  • Thanks ladies.

I think I will wait until after his surgery and see what happens. I feel so bad, I know all the interrupted sleep isn't good for him, yet you wouldn't know, he is such an angel all day. We currently follow a routine similar to Babywise, it's just adjusted to fit for us. Rayskit, thanks for the book selections, I will look into those. He is on medicine for his reflux, the pedi seems to think he is growing out of it, so we are starting to taking a lower dose of his medicine. His bed is also elevated. Who knows...maybe he will surprise me and STTN tonight!

• imagerayskit10:
    If you know he is in pain from the reflux and ear infections, I would definitely not let him CIO. He is hurting and wants comfort. After the surgery, if things don't improve, then you might look at some kind of sleep training. I recommend both the No Cry Sleep Solution and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. Read them in the weeks leading up to the surgery so you have a plan of attack when he is ready.

Ditto this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMrsMGR:

imagerayskit10:
    If you know he is in pain from the reflux and ear infections, I would definitely not let him CIO. He is hurting and wants comfort. After the surgery, if things don't improve, then you might look at some kind of sleep training.

Ditto this!

I agree as well.  DS STTN pretty early, but he regressed a few times.  Some instances were pain related and I just delt with being awake.  Others were him just being a pill and we did CIO a few times.

With all of the things you mentioned, I figure he's probably in pain and that's why he won't sleep.  After all of the surgeries, I hope/think things will turn around.

Are you the only one who gets up?  Do you and your DH take turns?  Maybe take an entire night shift so that at least one of you sleeps all night.

• imageMrsMGR:

imagerayskit10:
    If you know he is in pain from the reflux and ear infections, I would definitely not let him CIO. He is hurting and wants comfort. After the surgery, if things don't improve, then you might look at some kind of sleep training. I recommend both the No Cry Sleep Solution and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. Read them in the weeks leading up to the surgery so you have a plan of attack when he is ready.

Ditto this!

I agree as well.  Wait till after the surgery.  He just may be really uncomfortable.

• imagekreeper611:
    imageMrsMGR:

imagerayskit10:
    If you know he is in pain from the reflux and ear infections, I would definitely not let him CIO. He is hurting and wants comfort. After the surgery, if things don't improve, then you might look at some kind of sleep training.

Ditto this!

I agree as well.  DS STTN pretty early, but he regressed a few times.  Some instances were pain related and I just delt with being awake.  Others were him just being a pill and we did CIO a few times.

With all of the things you mentioned, I figure he's probably in pain and that's why he won't sleep.  After all of the surgeries, I hope/think things will turn around.

Are you the only one who gets up?  Do you and your DH take turns?  Maybe take an entire night shift so that at least one of you sleeps all night.

DH and I both get up. We are in such a small space right now, 900 sq feet, that I would hear him anyways. Last night was a bad night, he woke up four times. I'm thinking his ears must be bothering him again.
  • I have 1 good sleeper and 1 bad sleeper...  I feel your pain!  I would wait until after his surgery and read the Ferber book.  It worked for 1 kid not the other so I give it a 50% success rate.... 

I would cut out the night feedings.  He's big enough to make it through.  It's probably more of a habit now that you're going to have to break..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"