Blended Families

Update (really long!)

Hey everybody.  I haven't posted any updates in a while so I thought it was high time.  Background: DH and I lost our jobs before our wedding.  We got married and immediately relocated back to DC, got jobs but had to live with my crazy parents for a while until we could rent the house back in Mississippi because it wouldn't sell.  In September we moved into a 2 bedroom house.  It's a guest house on a 10 acre farm so there's a horse pasture outside my bedroom window but it's 3 minutes from town.  The landlord has a daughter thats the same age as SDs (they are 8 and 9, the neighbor girl is 8.5).  They LOVE each other and will be going to daycamp together during the summer.  Landlord has a pool that we're allowed to use so that's a plus too.  Plus, we're paying the same amount as the cheapest apt complex in town AND our house is 200 sq feet bigger than their 2 bedroom apt.  I love it here!  I wonder if they'll let us buy this little house and add a third room on the back, lol.

I just applied to grad school.  DH was transferred to the new 9/11 GI Bill and we thought he could transfer benefits to me.  They told him no, that was only for active duty military but then when they found out he's been out since 2006 they said "well you shouldn't have been able to transfer to the 9/11 bill since you're not active anymore, so you might as well try and see if they let your wife have it".  We're keeping our fingers crossed that it'll work out.  I just put my first app in the mail today for my first choice program.  AHHH I'm so nervous.  Hopefully it works out!

DH finished an IT class before the holidays, his work is giving him vouchers to take his certifications so we don't have to pay $100-$200 per test (yay!)  He's studying for his first test and should be taking it soon.  Each certification should earn him a pay raise (double yay!)  He travels 1 week per month for work and next week he's going to Michigan, which is where the kids live.  He'll be working an hour away so he got a hotel halfway.  He'll be able to pick the girls up from school all next week to spend time with him.  I'm really glad because we don't get spring break this year and they've been calling, crying cause they miss DH. 

That brings me to another point.  Over Christmas I had enough time to take off work and was home with SDs the whole time they were here.  SD9 asked why DH couldn't and I told her that his job only gives him 5 days off and my company gives me more and that he used his for our beach trip last summer.  She added up all the days and said "so you and daddy used all your days off on us?" and I told her we save up our vacation time and save up our money all year to do fun things with them so we can cram a year's worth of memories into 2 months.  I said "what did you think, we were off traveling the globe while you were at your moms?" laughing, and she said "I dunno" but then she gave me a big hug and told me "thank you for everything you do for us!"  I about cried.  I don't know if now they really "get" how much they mean to us and that's why they miss DH more, or if it's because BM has them call DH when they're crying and before she may have just handled it herself or what, but it makes DH feel better that they miss him.  They're normally trying to play when they talk to him on the phone.

We're saving up to take the kids to Disney World this year.  BM always wanted to take them so we didn't take them when they were younger.  Then I think she gave up because the kids said their Disney savings jar went empty a while back.  We're hoping to go for 5 days in the summer.  We plan to invite BM so she just has to pay for her own tickets and her own hotel/food etc but she can piggyback on our trip so she doens't have to miss out.  I'm going to let her know that she can't make fun of me when I buy a bunch of wands from Olivanders and butterbear in a souvenir mug (I'm a Harry Potter freak).  I know it sounds weird that we're inviting her, my mom hates the idea, but we all get along so I figured it would be nice if she didn't have to miss out.  Not sure if she'll say yes or not but she'll get the choice.

Hopefully after grad school and after DH takes all his tests we'll be making enough money so we can buy a house up here add two more to the family.  AND hopefully sell our other house in Mississippi so I don't have to be a landlord anymore!  Soo anyway, that's what's going on with us these days!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update (really long!)

• Thanks for the update, remember completely the "living with crazy parents" and multiple dogs (?) story, glad that life is more peaceful now.  It really sounds well deserved.

Think that's a nice gesture to invite SD (s)' mom.  I'd probably offer the same to my SD's mom and think it would probably be slightly weird and then get more fun.  Was thinking of offering this for a Disney cruise next year although I am notably only ok with these things when they are my idea.   Did Disney a few years ago before the Harry Potter, would love to know if butter beer (fond of both of these individually) is as good as it sounds.

Grad school for...?

• Yeah, we got out just in time.  My dad went crazy after Thanksgiving and threatened to kill himself and drove off drunk.  He doesn't mean it, he's a huge AW.  My mom's going to stay with him though cause she just can't get enough of his instability.  Then he and mom just got a third dog two weeks ago.  So now they have three yappy dogs that aren't expected to go potty outside  Hmm

I cannot WAIT to go to Wizarding World of HP.  My coworker went, he said butterbear is a.ma.zing.  I will write a review as soon as we get back.  I think BM should be able to tolerate my HP weirdness, she's a big fan of one particular Disney movie, she collects stuff from this one movie so I think it'll be even lol.

Grad school for forensic psychology/criminology.  My first choice program is forensic psychology but it's the only school in the area that offers a masters in FP so I applied to crim programs as a backup.

• Loading the player...
  • I am super insanely uber jealous that you are going to go to the WWOHP. Like INSANELY jealous.

I am glad to hear things are going well. Good luck with your grad school stuff.
  • Sounds like an exciting time for y'all right now. And what a beautiful place to live. I'm sooooo envious.
  • I'm a huge Harry Potter fan!  My nephew just went to WWOHP and he said the frozen butterbeer was the best.  They also have pumpkin juice!  He bought me a box of every flavor jellly beans - and some were really really gross!  But it was fun trying them and making faces for my nephew.

Have fun - I'm jealous.

• Curly - good to hear from you.  I hear HP is awesome - (I haven't gone because I'm really not a fan.)
  • You live in Orlando and haven't gone? Ahhhhh! I can't wait to go. DH is talking to BM about it next week. We like to keep things like this a surprise for the kids. It helps with the "how many more days?" questions and its more fun, but BM has trouble with that so hopefully we can keep it on the DL this time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"