Blended Families

And now a ? about DNA tests (not for us)

I've posted about this before, but quick backstory: BIL was dating a girl all of about two weeks when she found out she was pregnant. And even though she was still living with her ex bf at the time, she says the baby is BILs so he believes her. The baby was born sometime in the last few days (we found out from someone else on fb, he has yet to actually tell us, but that's an entirely seperate drama) but he told MIL about 12 hours after the baby was born that they did a swab and it's his. Doesn't it take a heck of a lot longer than that?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: And now a ? about DNA tests (not for us)

• Are you able to know you're pregnant after 2 weeks? I find this highly unlikely...

I'm stalking the bump boards in case you're wondering... DH took baby girl for a bit and now I'm bored. :-( lol

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • imagekaratechrissy:

Are you able to know you're pregnant after 2 weeks? I find this highly unlikely...

I'm stalking the bump boards in case you're wondering... DH took baby girl for a bit and now I'm bored. :-( lol

Ok, it might have been slightly more than 2 weeks, but still wasn't much. But that was DHs whole point when BIL was going on about it being his and they were going to buy a house together and he had this great job (at a local place that uses a lot of temps, he could be let go at a moments notice) so she wasn't going to have to work. They also though since we already have a boy and a girl which ever they had when could give them whatever they needed. Which of course was a big fat no. But all of that is the OTHER drama as to why we were not included in the news.

So being right about the DNA test time frame would be just a little enjoyable :)

• Loading the player...
  • imagehterry85:
    I've posted about this before, but quick backstory: BIL was dating a girl all of about two weeks when she found out she was pregnant. And even though she was still living with her ex bf at the time, she says the baby is BILs so he believes her. The baby was born sometime in the last few days (we found out from someone else on fb, he has yet to actually tell us, but that's an entirely seperate drama) but he told MIL about 12 hours after the baby was born that they did a swab and it's his. Doesn't it take a heck of a lot longer than that?

It took DH 6 months to get the results.  I was watching teen mom when Farrah took her DD for DNA and they told her several weeks.  So yes it def takes longer.

• It took two-three weeks to get SO's back.
  • It took only 2-3 weeks when DH had them done.  There are several different levels of testing, and the one to determine paternity is pretty basic.
  • imagemlm1128:
    It took only 2-3 weeks when DH had them done.  There are several different levels of testing, and the one to determine paternity is pretty basic.

A few weeks was what I expected...it was the 12 hours that sounded pretty fishy

• imagehterry85:

imagemlm1128:
    It took only 2-3 weeks when DH had them done.  There are several different levels of testing, and the one to determine paternity is pretty basic.

A few weeks was what I expected...it was the 12 hours that sounded pretty fishy

Even those at home tests take a while. You have to mail it all in then they send you a letter. So it's not like a pregnancy test where you get a pink line or anything. lol. One of the Kardashian (I know it's my guilty pleasure show) sisters didn't believe their mom was really her mom. she swabbed her and had to wait for a letter back in the mail. Sounds odd to me he was able to get it back in 12 hours.

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • They get it back the same day on Maury. Stick out tongue
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageSWmama:
    They get it back the same day on Maury. Stick out tongue

Sadly enough, I could totally picture this playing out on Maury... Stick out tongue

• Yes I heard the absolute fastest they can find out is 48-72 hrs and I'm sure you'd have to pay some serious $$ for such expediated results.
  • My experience with DNA Diagnostics Center, you can make payment arrangements with them.  As soon as they receive their first payment they will do a collection and hold it until total payment has been received.  It then takes 3 working days for the results to be finished and mailed to you.  In 2008 it cost $475 for a basic court admissible DNA test (tests child, mother, and father).  I'm sure inflation has pushed that price up a bit. 
  • It took DH a few weeks to get the results back from IA. The drugstore do-it-yourself kits you have to mail, so they even take a while. I've never heard of it happening in 12 hours, unless the hospitals have started to do it. Do you think he just signed the paperwork in the hospital agreeing that he was the father (in CA, they make unwed parents both sign a paternity form)? If so, it would entitle him to certain rights/obligations, but it could be overturned by a paternity test. He should definitely get the official Paternity test administered by the State.

• imagekaratechrissy:

Are you able to know you're pregnant after 2 weeks? I find this highly unlikely...

I actually found out I was pregnant at 2 or 3 weeks along. They originally thought I was 4 weeks at the time, but when DS was born, they said he was probably 2 weeks more premature than they thought due to lung development stage.

• For giggles sake, what COULD have happened in the 12 hour period was a blood typing that just ruled him IN as a possible sperm donar.  That does not mean that he is the father, just that his blood type works in this scenario...and if the other possibility (the ex) was ruled out, that could have been enough for your BIL.

However, MOST DNA matching takes weeks (this is one of the things I hate on the CSI shows).  It is extremely rare that a hospital has the equipment to do a DNA test on site; let alone be free of backlog from more pressing DNA type reasons for testing ones blood.  They would have had to send this labwork out (hell most hospitals farm out the blood work) for testing.  That means at least a 48 hour turn around. 

And MAURY DID NOT DO IT IN A DAY.   

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:

And MAURY DID NOT DO IT IN A DAY.   

This, I'm sure Maury does it like a week prior & they just tape it to look like it was done that day. My ex had a dna test done at the hospital when his son (not my son) was born & he had the results before they were discharged.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"