Pre-School and Daycare

What age do they learn....

time?

Like "today, yesterday, tomorrow"

Dylan's always asking if "today is a nanny day" at the end of a weekend day.  It's like he doesn't conceptualize tomorrow very well.

Likewise anything that happened in the past was "yesterday"

But on a lighter note I think I'm gonna petition Webster's to include "yesternight" in the dictionary.

I think it's a cool word.

I don't dare teach them the correct word because I'm gonna be sad  when I don't hear "yesternight" come out of them any more.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: What age do they learn....

• Good question. My oldest has a good grasp of "today" and "tomorrow," but "yesterday" gives him some trouble. He might talk about anything that happened in the last week as happening "yesterday," sort of like it's a general term for whatever is in the past.
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:
    Good question. My oldest has a good grasp of "today" and "tomorrow," but "yesterday" gives him some trouble. He might talk about anything that happened in the last week as happening "yesterday," sort of like it's a general term for whatever is in the past.

My daughter is the same way!  Anything that happened in the past is either "yesterday", "last year" or, my personal favorite, "when I was little."

She does better with the actual days of the week than with today, tomorrow, yesterday.  Not sure when that kicks in. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD does pretty well with yesterday and tomorrow, but she makes no distinction between something that happened 3 days ago and last year - they're all "a few days ago."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it is closer to 4 or 5. I know they teach it in my sons 4 yr old classroom and in most kindergarten classes.
  • I bought one of those tear off daily calendars for Jack at Christmas. It's Star Wars and he loves it. It's taken until this weekend for him to finally 'get' it. He now knows, for the most part, the days of the week. He's known Sat & Sun are weekends and there's no school those days for a long while now. It's the days of the week he wasn't getting. Now that he knows the days, he knows what days are school days and which days are weekend by name. I suggest a similar calendar for your son.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"