TTC After a Loss 6 Months+
Options

Impromptu IVF consult

Yesterday when I went in for my IUI, I asked my RE if we would do the same thing again next month if it didn't work again this month. He said that, if I wanted to he would do another injects/ IUI but that his recommendation was to move on to IVF after this month. He ended up coming back into the room and asking me if I wanted to just do the consult then because DH and I were both there and he had some free time. He thinks that the fact that I respond so quickly to the meds and that DH has had great sperm counts (80-130 million post wash over the past 4 IUIs), that all points to DH's low morph (3%) being the problem. He said that every cycle doing IUI, my chances of success get lower. He thinks that we gave it a shot, it didn't work, and it's time to move in. From all the research that I have done, I agree that IUI is probably not going to work with DH's morph... it's just scary thought to be moving on to IVF. I know this doesn't make sense, but I feel like I'm moving to my last resort so quickly and if it doesn't work, we'll have no place else to go. I'm not really sure if we'll do one more IUI or if we'll start IVF but I guess I better decide soon (anyone who has previously made this decision is more than welcome to offer their advice/ input!!).

If/ when we do IVF, I'll go on BCP, then Lupron (overlapping with BCP at first), Gonal-F, low-dose HCG, Ovidrel to trigger, then progesterone suppositories. We're definitely doing ICSI and we will also have the choice to participate in a PGD study. He said that over the past 6 months, the success rates for women my age are 80% getting a positive test, 65% discharged to an OB. If we do the study and are in the PGD group, those rates go up to 90% and 75%. 

Obviously, it's much more likely that we'll be successful if we do IVF, I'm just scared :/

m/c 7/17/10
Dx: MFI- 3% morph
IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: Impromptu IVF consult

• Options

I have no advice for you but just wanted to say good luck in whatever you decide to do! If you do go down the IVF road it sounds like you and your Dr. have a great plan in place! 

((hugs)) 

• Options

Sounds like IVF would be something very promising! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been where you are, not that long ago, and I think you have to listen to your heart. I was ready to move forward because I was so frustrated with having my hopes built up every cycle just to be let down again when AF showed up. I did it three times and then I was told I had to take a cycle off because I had residual follicles and it made me so sad. I said "what's the next step?" and that's when we met with the doctor for IVF. Obviously, you can see where this brought us.

You both have to be ready for it because it is hard. I was a mess while taking the BCP's but so far, I'm feeling good. I hope you don't have to get to this point but if you do, it sounds like your doctor has some really good success rates! Good luck! If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'm not shy. 

• Options
    I know IVF is a scary step, but your RE's success rates are really encouraging.  I hope this IVF works for you and you don't need to worry about it though!  Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I know it's a hard decision to make - moving forward with IVF.  We did 2 unmedicated IUI's and my plan was to try one injects + TI cycle and then a couple injects + IUI cycles first.  After my 2nd unmed. IUI was successful, but then I had a c/p, the RE said she felt that IVF was the way to go.  We did still end up doing the injects + TI cycle, but only b/c I couldn't cycle for IVF until after the holidays. 

It was painful to come to realize that we too were already at our last resort.  Then in our IVF testing when DH's SA came back poor - 0% morph and only 14 million total count - it was another blow to make me (us) feel broken.  We will also being doing ICSI b/c of his numbers.

That study for the PGD sounds really interesting, I asked our RE about PGD b/c we did have the one loss due to a chromosomal issue, but it was isolated, we didn't pass anything on, so she said it wasn't something they would consider for us (and it's very expensive).  If you can be on a study then and hopefully not have the costs associated with it - and since it ups the odds of success, I would really consider it. 

Good luck with your decision (((hugs))), 

• Options
    Good luck hon!

BFP 12/18/2009. HB 1/4/2010. NO HB 1/18/2010. D&C 1/19/2010
    April 2011 IUI #1 BFN. High FSH and other issues.
    May 2011 Chose to build our family through adoption
    September 2011 Actively waiting for a match
    11/26/11 Surprise BFP * DD born 7/23/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    *hugs*  Good luck!
  • Options
    We are in pretty much the same situation, so I completely understand your fear. We had originally planned to do 3 injects cycles and then move to ivf, but now we are seriously considering moving to ivf after our second failed injects cycle. And now ive been put back on BCP because I have a big ole cyst. It's such a hard decision to make knowing that it is the last resort. I'm completely terrified. I keep trying to tell myself that I shouldn't let fear keep me from doing something, but it's so hard. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • Options
    Good luck! It's glad that you've gotten the consult out of the way when you aren't as pressured and you can take some time to think about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"