Pre-School and Daycare

How old will your child be...

when he or she starts kindergarten? And how many years of preschool will he or she have had by then?

Just curious to see what other parents are doing! :) 

P - 9/2008
A - 8/2010
L - 1/2013
S - 3/2015

Re: How old will your child be...

• Aidan will be 5 when he starts kindergarten and will have 2 years of preschool behind him.

His preschool is only 2 days a week for a few hours each for 3 yr olds

And 3 days a week for 4 year olds

So I'm still a little worried about the adjustment from a few hours every other day to all day everyday because he is a homebody.

• Technically, my ds started a preschool program when he was 18 months old. Was it pre-school, I don't know? Anyway, he will have been in pre-school for 4 years when he starts kindergarten. He is an April baby, so he will be 5 yrs 4 months when he starts.
  • Loading the player...
  • She'll be almost 5, and have 2 full years of preschool.  (9/15 birthday, 12/1 is MI's cut off for Kindergarten).  If she's immature in 2012 I'll consider holding her back again, but anyone I've known in education (preschool teachers, teacher friends) think she'll be ready :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• He'll be five, unless there is a compelling reason to hold him another year. I'm not seeing that at this point, though. He has a late May birthday and is younger than a lot of his class, but he's keeping up nicely.

He'll have had two years of preschool.

• Madelyn will turn 5 the month before Kindergarten starts. She will have had 2 years of preschool.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • She'll be 5 yrs 3 mos when kindergarten starts.

She hasn't started preschool yet and probably won't until the end of this year, so she'll have had about 8 mos of preschool. I'm okay with that. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD will be 5 and will have have had 1 year of preschool.
    Brandi dd - Emma Rose - 6.24.06 dd - Alexis Grace - 09.03.10 Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS will be 5 when he starts kindergarten but turning 6 that October.  We plan on sending him to preschool sometime this year so he'll have had 2 years of preschool before kindergarten.  My youngest is a summer baby so he'll have just turned 5 when he starts school.  Too early to tell how much preschooling he'll have though!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I forgot to add too that most schools in RI and MA have a Sept.1st cutoff so I don't really have a choice as to when to send our oldest!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• DD will be 5, and she will have done 2 years of preschool.  This year, she is doing 3 days a week, 2.5 hours a day,  Next year we are looking into 3 full days a week. 
  • DD#1 will be 5 years 3 months.  She started "preschool" aka MDO at 15 months and real preschool at 3.  (It's a MDO program that transitions to a preschool.)  Anyway, I would consider her having 2 years of "real preschool". 
  • 5 years old and 3 months. Probably no preschool. I am a stay at home mom and former teacher so I hope to have him well prepared for K.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS will be 5 and 3 months.  In NH, the cut off is Sept 30.  No going early.  I can hold him back if need be.

However K in my town is half day.  Unless they start a full day program he will go to private K and then first grade the following year.

2 years of full time preschool before K.  

• My twins will either be 4 yrs 11 months when they start w/ 2 years of preschool (2 days per week), or 5 years 11 months w/ 3 years of preschool if I hold them back.  

They are in the process of changing the cut-off date in CA and my twins can still start "early," but my younger dd will miss the cut-off by 10 days the year she is "supposed" to start.  So instead of being one grade level apart, they will be 2 years apart, if I start the twins "on time."

• My guys will be 5yrs. 8 months (January birthdays) with two years of PS under their belts.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• If DD goes to public school she will be 5yrs9mos when she starts K, but if she goes to the private school that's #1 on my list (this is highly likely since they offered me a job when she starts; payment is basically free tuition for 20 hours a week of work) then she'll just go whenever she's ready. They can start any time after they turn 5, but it can be whenever during the year and they're more concerned about readiness than ages. They don't have grade levels either, so I guess it wouldn't technically be Kindergarten.

She will have a minimum of 2.5 years of PS. She does 2 half days a week right now, but I was offered a job at the preschool today so if I take that she will be in for at least 4 half days and 1 full day (more likely 3 half/2 full). 

• DS will be 5y4m when he starts Kindergarten and will have 1 year of preschool(pre-K) before going to Kindergarten.

DD has a late Sept birthday but the cutoff is Oct 1 so she can go if she is ready or we can hold her back...we will see what happens when the time comes. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DD1 will be 5, DD2 will be 4...both should have two years of nursery school before kindergarten.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • DD was 5 (like literally turned 5 the day before school started!); she had one year of PreK but was in daycare.

DS1 will be 5 but in less than three weeks after school starts he will turn 6.  We are planning him having 2 years of preschool.

DS2 will be 5.5 when K starts...its too early to tell... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1 will be 5yrs when she starts.

We are planning 1yr of preschool.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • 5yrs 11m. My son will have two years of preschool, one year of private kindergarten, then move into public kindergarten. In his school, they keep them moving forward. Most of the children he will be in private kindergarten with are there due to the age cutoff. Rather than having them do three years of preschool, or a bridge program as a couple of the preschools in my area offer, they move straight to kindergarten. Once in a while a child will skip public kindergarten and move on to public first grade. That won't be an option for us.
  • Oldest will be 5 almost exactly.

He will have had 1 year of 2 half days a week pre-school.

Youngest will be 5 and a half.

Not sure yet but we're leaning towards 2 years of 2 half days a week pre-school prior to starting K. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • I am honestly amazed that some people don't think preschool is a necessity. As a former teacher I without a doubt know how important it is

DD misses the school cut off by 3 days. She will do private kinder this year and public next year. We had planned for her to do two years of pre-k but she is reading and the school she is at does not think another year of pre-k will be good for her so we are putting her in their private K. She will be 5 and turn 6 two days after school starts. She started MDO at 18 months and preschool at 2. She will have 3 years of preschool before she starts. DS will be 5 and turn 6 in November when he starts. He started MDO at 18 months and will start preschool at 2 almost 3 he will also have 3 years of preschool under his belt. 

• She'll have just turned 5 when she starts.  She'll have had 3 full years of preschool by that time.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Both kids will be 5.  They will each have had 2 years of preschool by then but are enrolled in daycare FT so really get some schooling starting at age 2.  It just transitions into a more formal classroom at age 3, when potty-trained.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• DD #1 will be 6 years and 2 1/2 months when she starts kindergarten (we are holding her back, could start at 5 years but she is not ready per us, her speech teachers and her pre-K teachers).  She has been in daycare since she was an infant so let's see

2 years of FT daycare

1 1/2 years of FT daycare center preschool

2 years of FT Pre-K in public school PreK program

DD #2 will be 5 1/2 when she starts Kindergarten and at this point, I don't see her being held at all - she has always been ahead of her peers socially and academically in her daycare/preschool

By the time she starts - she have had

2 years of FT daycare

2 1/2 years of FT daycare center preschool

1 year of FT Pre-K in public school Pre-K program

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • If we are still living in this area, DS will be an old 5 when he starts (will turn 6 that December) due to the cut off. He will have had 2 years of preschool at that point.

1 year (5 days a week for 3.5 hours) at a private institution 

1 year in the public school's Pre-K program (only 3 days a week full day)

• DS will be 5 1/2 (Jan. bday, Aug. start date) when he starts. He should have 2 years of preschool by then. 
  • Gav will turn 5 the February before Kindergarten, so I guess 5 1/2. If I do my math right ;) he will have 2 full years of pre-k
  • He will be 5.5.  He will have had 3 years of preschool. 
  • 5 with 2 years of preschool - 2 days a week the first year, 3 the second.  K here is 5 half days.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • My daughter will be 5 and will turn 6 two months later. She will have had 2 years of preschool.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • 5 when school starts in early August; 6 when school resumes in January.

He will start preschool this fall at 3.5 for 2 or 3 days, and then do pre-k 3 or 4 days the following year.

m/c feb 07 ~ m/c twins oct 08 ~ Duncan Thomas: born to heaven 5/19/09 - m/c jan 11

My Blog

• 4 years, 3 months old when he starts kindergarten.  He's been in daycare and 'graduated' to preschool since 6 months old.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Both of my girls will be about 5 years 9 months having had 4 years of part-time (2-3 days/week for 3 hours) preschool.
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • DS will be 5 and 4 months and will have had 2 years of preschool. DD will be almost 6 (Nov. 3rd birthday, and the cutoff is Sept. 30th) and will definitely have two years. We have a long time to decide if we will do three or not.
  • My children are summer babies and we plan to have them start Kindergarten when they are 6.  The reason for this is that DH was also a summer baby and got sent to Kindergarten at 5 and hated that he was the youngest, felt behind, ect. while growing up.  It's something he feels strongly about. 

We'll probably put them in preschool for a year before Kindergarten.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • DS will be just about 6 years old.  Sept 1st is our cut off and his bday is Sept 5th.. so depending on when labor day falls, he may have his 6th birthday his 1st week of kindergarten!

He will have 3 years of professional pre-school under his belt at that time. 

He's in his 1st year now, he technically started a year early because the director knows our family.. they also have a Sept 1st cut off, so he slipped right in.

The schedule he's on now is: 3/4 yo's 2 days a week 2 hour classes

Next year, 4/5 yo's 3 days a week, 2.5 hour days

3rd year is more like a kindergarten set-up, advanced 4/5 yo's 3 days a week 4 hours

So he will basically be super ready for kindergarten! That's the plan at least :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"