North Carolina Babies

Congestion

OK so my 6 month old son is congested but its not nasal...its more in his chested which makes him cough!  He's been congested b4 but it was all n the nose so I used saline drops. I use the humidifer everyday...its been about 3 days that he's been congested.  Do u guys know of anything else I can do for him or give him!

I just hate it for the poor little fella :-(

We'ln take any advise.....

Re: Congestion

• Jocelyn has had that since Wed and her nose really started running along with it Fri/Sat. I was up with her for 2 hours on Friday night. I have used the humidifier on full blast as well as Vicks Rub (they make a "baby" for under 2). I also elevated the head of her crib to help. I plan on calling the pedi tomorrow since I know RSV is going around and I want to make sure it isn't that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Welcome!

Poor fella! Unfortunately, there's not really anything, medicine-wise, you can give him at his age. The humidifier should help. Also, I bought some Vicks liquid that you can put in the water in a humidifier (sold with the humidifiers at Target) that seemed to help my DD when she had something like that. Also, maybe try the Vicks baby chest rub?

If he's wheezy, you'd definitely want to give the pedi a call to make sure it's not RSV. They might be able to give him a nebulizer treatment, or something like that at the pedi's office.

Good luck--I hope he's feeling better soon!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • DS has RSV.  I took him into the pedi on Friday even though he was just there on Mon for something completely different.  But, he had a temp, wheezing, and crackles.  His nose was runny too.  Pedi pretty much just told me to use the humidifier; I have the hot steam one with vicks and to push fluids.  And to wait out the course about five days.  It stinks! I hate seeing my poor guy like this!
  • imageGaspiK:
    DS has RSV.  I took him into the pedi on Friday even though he was just there on Mon for something completely different.  But, he had a temp, wheezing, and crackles.  His nose was runny too.  Pedi pretty much just told me to use the humidifier; I have the hot steam one with vicks and to push fluids.  And to wait out the course about five days.  It stinks! I hate seeing my poor guy like this!

Oh no, that stinks. How did they test him for it? Is it a finger prick? I think DD may have it, so I am worried!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Dbert, sorry this is late. I had to work today, so you may already know the answer.  But, its a nasal swab; the same way they test for the flu.  They did it right in the office and it took about 15 minutes for the result.  They didn't even do anything for DS though, not even a breathing treatment.  They just told me to push fluids, which I was already doing and to watch him to make sure he didn't have trouble breathing.  Hope, DD starts to feel better soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"