Pre-School and Daycare

What to look for in a preschool

My DD just turned four and we are enrolling her into preschool in the fall. (I wanted her to go when she was 3, but they wanted $500 a month for three half days a week. I decided we would work at home. We have workbooks that we do and she knows her alphabet, 1-10, colors, and shapes already.) I am new to all of this so I was wondering if you all had some tips as to what to look for in a school and questions to ask. Thank you!

Re: What to look for in a preschool

• I'm sure it varies a lot depending on the parent.  We're starting our DD in the fall at age 3 in a half day program and are mostly concerned that she get a gentle introduction to what it means to be in school.  She has an August birthday, so she will be one of the youngest in her class, and has also been home with me all day since birth, so my biggest priorities are a 5 day per week program to get her used to being away from home regularly, having her acclimate to having a teacher, and getting daily interaction with peers.  Beyond that, reading readiness is an important academic focus, but at this age, I think just experiencing a school environment is probably more important than what they actually teach.  Also, we plan to send DD to a Catholic school for elementary school, so finding a school that we like that starts with preK-3 and goes through grade 8 was a priority.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I run an in-home daycare that provides preschool type learning activities.  I know from experience, that it is not about the ABCs and 123s when entering Kindergarten as much as it is about the social skills your child has.  Most kindergarten teachers would say a child is ready if they can sit and pay attention for 15-20 minutes, are able to leave mom/caretaker w/o a fuss, and can interact with others with little or no problems.  Knowing the ABCs and 123s is always a bonus though! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"