Baby Names
Options

Is Lillian/ Lily *really* that popular?

I just received this as a suggestion, and was initially kind of intrigued by it as it does meet many of my criteria.  (Also, want to hear something totally cheesy?  DD is due on Easter, and of course the Lilly is the "Easter flower", so. . . I know, I know!) 

Anyway, I was shocked to go to the Social Security website and see how popular these names, and all their variations, are!  I've never heard of a Lillian or Lily IRL - never.  Well, that's not true. . .  There was my old roommate's dog.  And the kid on M.odern Family.  But that's it!

Thoughts?

Re: Is Lillian/ Lily *really* that popular?

• Options

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

social security website showing how popular Lillian is, #27 in US in 2009.

as for Lily, #18 for 2009.

So, YES, it is VERY popular.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's pretty popular, but a sweet name.  I actually like the Easter Lily connection!  :) 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know 1 Liliana, 1 Lillian, & 2 Lily's all under the age of 7. If you have never heard the name in real life then it can't be that popular in your area. If you like it go with it though.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    It's pretty popular, I know quite a few in addition to it being rated high on SSA. But if you like it, then go for it.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options

My husband and I are going back and forth with a name that is in a similar situation as well. We went to Babies R Us recently and looked at all the personalized pacifiers and cups to see which names were there and which ones were being purchased the most. Unfortunately, both Lilly (various spellings) and the name we like were very popular. 

That being said, with the encouragement of the ladies on this board, I have realized you have to use what name you believe you should use. If it is a name you love and it is popular, then just use it. I think Lily, Lilly, Lillian (any of those) is a beautiful name and many of these older fashioned names are making a comeback.  

• Options
    VERY popular. I know LOTS of little girls with all variations.
  • Options
     I don't consider it overwhelmingly popular, I only know of 2 kids with the name myself.  It has a beautiful meaning too, and I doubt many people would instantly think of the Easter connection.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Combining the numbers for Lillian, Lily and Lilly, the name was the most popular baby name in Tennessee in 2009. So yes, it is popular. But it is a lovely name, and if you love it more than any other choice, then you should go for it. 
  • Options

imageHannahO28:
    Combining the numbers for Lillian, Lily and Lilly, the name was the most popular baby name in Tennessee in 2009. 

Oh, my.  I hadn't run those numbers, thanks for the info! 

• Options
    DD is Lillian and thought it was going to pretty unpopular. We'd never met anyone else with the name, though we knew a couple of Lilys. I was shocked when I took her to daycare the first time and found out there were two Lilianas in her class! They call her Lily-3 at daycare!
  • Options

I really like the name Lily and I love the Easter connection. If you really like it, use it. 

Lily was actually on our list until someone made the association of someone I don't particularly care for and ruined it for me :(

• Options
    I know a couple of Lilies under age 3.  Lillian, Liliana, Lily.  It's a pretty name, though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

It's very popular in my area.  It's such a pretty name that it's easy to see why it would be.

FWIW, my name is Laura and it was #18 the year I was born.  I haven't known all that many Lauras my age in my life. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, it really is that popular.

I do love Lillian though.  (nn Lily)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think it is so funny how you can think you prectically invented a name just to find out it is so popular! I feel that way, too! :) I was shocked when I found out how popular it is! I guess it happens especially when you are new to kids!!

I have to say, though, coming from a Kristen born in 1979 that has been call every k- and c- name at least once, I still like my name!

I LOVE Liliana!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My niece is "Lillian" (she's 4).  Other than that, I only know of girls with the name Lily - but they seem to be of all ages (one is 15, but most are under the age of 3). 

I think it's a beautiful name. 

• Options

It's a very popular name in the U.S., but it might not be so popular in your state/area.

Do a little more research (check the SSA site by state; look at your local hospital websites, newspaper announcements). Chances are, it's more popular than you think (especially if you don't have many babies in your family/circle of friends). But it's also possible that you live in an area where it's much more uncommon.

If popularity matters to you, I'd check those things out before deciding on the name for sure. If not---go for it.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yes! We have a Lillian (she is 11) I don't want to be one of those parents that say "When we named her that, nobody had that name" BUT we didn't know any in 1999 except for my grandmother (who our DD was named after) Now, they are everywhere! Everywhere, at least Lily's...not sure if they have the fn of Lillian. It doesn't surprise me that it's popular, the name is beautiful but I used to LOVE when people would comment on her name as a baby "oh, that name is beautiful" or "you never hear that anymore"  and now it's almost like they are saying "oh, another Lilly". If popularity doesn't bother you, then go for it. If you don't want 3 other Lilly's in your childs class, stay away.
  • Options
    I have many friends who have named their babies variations of Lillian/Lily. It's popular here in Texas, for sure.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • Options
    I work with the birth to age 3 population and Lily is by far and away one of the most popular names. The decision is more: does it bother you or not?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"