Breastfeeding

6 days post partum barely any milk

I'm so frustrated, I gave birth on Tues, 1/18 and my milk is just barely in.  I took my son to the doc on sat to get his jaundice checked and also because he was not having wet diapers.  The ped said I had to supplement after each time I BF and also to pump, and to pump 1x a day extra just to see what my supply is.  Well as of today, after pumping on each side for 15 min I only made about 3/4 oz.  I dont know what to do.  I am drinking TONS, eating, etc.  Anyone else experience this or have suggestions? 

Re: 6 days post partum barely any milk

• try to relax, which I know is impossible. My LO wasn't eating enouhg in the hospital either, and they started me pumping which was fine but I think my worry about her not getting enough to eat just sort of hurt all of my bodily functions. After her check up when she had gained some back, I was able to relax a little and my production went up.

I pump every 3 hours round the clock for 15 mins, and my supply went up pretty quickly, right now (3 weeks) I'm getting 4-6 oz per session, and she is only taking half of that, so I am banking the rest in the fridge/freezer which also helps me relax.

Even if you are supplementing, continuing to pump/BF is still good too - my doc told me the other day even if I can't keep up with her eventually, whatever breastmilk I can give is still beneficial, and supplementing is not the end of the world.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • it took at least two weeks for my supply to come in with both of my children.  don't quite yet...it probably just isn't all there yet, sadly, it takes more time for some :(
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it took 6 days for mine and then I was pumping and nursing like nuts because I was going back to work soon.  I ended up with an oversupply so don't worry too much.  It just takes some of us more time to see results.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At about your point, I was producing just shy of an oz... so your amount doesn't seem low to me. Supplementing is NBD until your body gets the pattern down - especially if that cures the lack of wet diapers problem.

Try not to stress about it. That can't help! Good luck.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Hi, mine took 14 days to switch to real milk (vs colutrum and then transitional milk). see a LC and due a weighed feeding. (or a LLL meeting, or even at your drs office)

I pumped after ever feeding, with heavy massage/compressions (see link) and it slowly increased my supply. We had to supplement b/c DS was boardline dehydrated at 4 days and would only get worse. Also try to rest, not stress... 

You may want to get checked by your dr, I had a retained placenta (starting having clots and bright red gushes at 4 wks) and was finally found and removed at my 6 wk appt. Not fun. Afterwards i was engorged for the first time, before that i tried everything and as the placenta calcified my supply slowly increased.

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"