Potty Training
Options

3DPT - signs of success!

Well, we're at the beginning of day 3 and the last two days have been riddled with tons of accidents.  But I've followed her instructions to a T - been positive, encouraging, consistent, and persistent.  Yesterday he actually showed moments that he's starting to get that it isn't fun going in one's pants.  When he had one of his accidents he immediately said, "uh oh! eeeeeew!! pee!"  So he at least recognizes what it is and that it isn't a good thing to do it in your pants/on the floor.  And I've had success catching bowel movements, but he had a really easy one that he showed no signs of but the second he did it in his pants he turned around and said, "poop!"  So he is at least recognizing what he is doing and that it shouldn't be happening in his pants.  Now he just has to get to the point of recognizing what's happening BEFORE it happens.  But these little signs of progress are really helping me not get frustrated.  Today is day 3 - so the book says it is supposed to "click" sometime today.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.  But I think I'm going to stick with it through the weekend, even if it doesn't because he is getting it, even if it happens in a few more days than 3.  Just thought I'd share our experience so far. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 3DPT - signs of success!

• Options

So today is my first day on this site (potty training, use to spend tons of time on the adoption site.

So, the 3DPT book seems worth it? I've been hesitant to buy it, but it seems to get a lot of play here. What are your takes on the book itself?? Congrats on the progress!!

• Options
    imagekirstenw05:

So today is my first day on this site (potty training, use to spend tons of time on the adoption site.

So, the 3DPT book seems worth it? I've been hesitant to buy it, but it seems to get a lot of play here. What are your takes on the book itself?? Congrats on the progress!!

I think it is worth it.  But we've done some modifications.  It definitely isn't a 3 day process for my son.  He figured out bowel movements really easily, but the peeing is a different story.  He has learned more bladder control, but still has a hard time anticipating the pee in enough time to tell me before he wets his pants. One thing that is great is he's able to stay dry for naps and nighttimes and that is pretty huge.  The author guarantees your child will be completely potty trained in 3 days, but you must take your child's temperament into consideration.  My child is very cautions, slow to warm up, etc.  So he does nothing with any haste - and I think it'll be the same with getting him to be completely potty trained.  The 3 days definitely gave him more awareness, but he isn't potty trained with peeing yet.  But my son is also very young too.  If your child is older and has a more gung-ho kind of temperament, it may happen in 3 days for you.  But the principles in the book are good ones - not forcing the "trying" aspect, encouraging the child to communicate their need to potty, etc. and I think it gave me a great jumping off point in this whole potty training adventure.  Best of luck :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"