Illinois Babies

Hotel recs (trip to Chicago w/o kids)?

DH and I are thinking of taking a little getaway without the kids.  He's never been to Chicago, and I think he'd like exploring the city.  I'm thinking of booking of a surprise trip in May for his birthday for 4 nights.

Anyone have any recommendations for a nice, but reasonably priced, hotel and/or fun things to do for a childless couple in the city?

TIA!

Re: Hotel recs (trip to Chicago w/o kids)?

• I think you guys would enjoy doing an architectural cruise - its a great way to see the city skyline and learn some Chicago history at the same time. there are a few companies that operate, and its about 1 - 1 1/2 hours in length. We always do it when we have visitors, and I always enjoy going. 

The Allerton is sometimes really good priced and located in a great spot near Michigan Ave. I like the Drake too. You can normally get either of those for under $200/night. 

have fun planning!  

• If your travel dates are flexible, I'd recommend that you make sure to check the Chicago Visitors Bureau calendar to make sure there aren't any city-wide conventions going on over your dates (city-wides always jack up prices and availability on all hotels). 

One of my absolute favorites is the Sofitel Hotel.  The location is perfect, rates are typically reasonable, an beds are super comfy. You can't go wrong with Sofitel. 

The Elysian Hotel is a fairly new 5 star hotel in Chicago and it is AMAZING.  I stayed there last month.  Typically 5 star hotels go for $400+ a night in Chicago, but recently I've seen the Elysian offering rates of $195/nt (it's a non-refundable rate), which is hard to come by in a 5 star.  Not sure how long they are offering this low rate, or if it's only select dates, but definitely look into it if that is in your price range.  The hotel and staff are really wonderful. 

JW Marriott is new too, and they seem to be offering competitive rates.  I haven't stayed there and have only been in the lobby and bar area, but JW's are usually pretty nice.  Only thing with the JW is that you will be right in the Loop, so if you go on a weekend, it's pretty much dead in the area.  You'll need to walk a bit, take a train, or taxi to get around. 

If you like small, old, boutique type hotels, Whitehall is nice.  Location and rates are always good.  A glass of wine and pizza from the wood-burning oven in the restaurant Fornetto Mei is yummy (though not a true Chicago style pizza).  Just make sure you sit in the enclosed glass lounge area of Fornetto Mei's and not the restaurant part. 

Here's my quick summary:

If you want to be close to Mag Mile, all the shops, many restaurant options, etc. check out Sofitel, Whitehall, and Elysian.  

If you don't mind commuting around a bit to get to places check out JW Marriott, Blackstone, Palmer House Hilton.  

Those would be all of my top picks.  I used to be a Corporate Meeting Planner, and though the industry is always changing, that's my advice based on my former experience.  Feel free to PM or ask me questions about any specific hotels.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We go downtown every year for our anniversary.  The last few hotels we stayed at were The Omni.  It is on Michigan Ave so you are right in the middle of everything.  We have also staed at the Marriot Renissance - also very nice.  The Amalfi - its across the street from House of Blues and the bowling alley.  Very small butique type hotel but they have free cocktails and food every evening and free continental breakfast on each floor every morning.  The Wyndham ( which may be the Westin now) but it was in the same building as Capital Grille which is an amazing steak house.  All of these hotels are about $200 to $300 per night.  They may be cheaper depending on the time of year but our anniversary weekend always falls on the same weekend as the Disney Mag Mile Parade so there are thousands of people down there.  We love it and we especially love that we leave our kids with my mom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Affina, we were just there this past weekend.  Great price and cool modern retro rooms with a great view.  Close to Michigan Ave.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"