LGBT Parenting

Wives and partners pov on the bump

From the reading I've done here, it seems like there are only a few couples where both of you frequent this board.  For the rest of us... do you share your account with your DW?  Is she not interested?  (If so, is this in line with other more traditional male/female type roles you play in your relationship?)  Or what other arrangements or conversations have you had about this? I'm curious to hear your responses!  Also, for couples where both of you do read or post here, does that cause any drama?

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
IVF Oct/Nov 2012
Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
Cautiously optimistic.

Re: Wives and partners pov on the bump

• My wife has no interest in message boards/bogs/ect.  She just doesnt do online socializing.  She doesnt work on a computer, doesnt have a facebook page, ect.  Not her thing.  She used to think my message board habit was silly (and probably still does a bit), but she's come around now that she's met a bunch of the friends I've made online and she supports the outlet/resource/support it is for me. We also got our kids from my "silly hobby" so that made it all a lot more real for her :)

She doesnt read anything I ever write on here and very rarely reads my blog, but I'd have no issue if she did.

• imagectbride08:

My wife has no interest in message boards/bogs/ect.  She just doesnt do online socializing.  She doesnt work on a computer, doesnt have a facebook page, ect.  Not her thing.  She used to think my message board habit was silly (and probably still does a bit), but she's come around now that she's met a bunch of the friends I've made online and she supports the outlet/resource/support it is for me. We also got our kids from my "silly hobby" so that made it all a lot more real for her :)

She doesnt read anything I ever write on here and very rarely reads my blog, but I'd have no issue if she did.

I could have written this...well except I didn't get my kid from this "hobby" ;-)  DW has no interest in online socializing.  However, she has gone to many local gtgs with me and has meet some of the ladies on this board.  She knows I've made real friends through this and knows I'm also smart enough to figure out which online friends I would invite into my real life. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • my wife doesn't do online stuff and has no interest in it. she does read my blog fairly regularly--she doesn't check it every day, but she'll check it once a week or so. she never comes to TB.  she also has a FB account but she never posts on it, she only looks once in a while to see what people are up to. but, my wife also doesn't check her email every day and really doesn't spend much time on the computer at all, whereas I work on a computer all day long.

• My wife doesn't care. I don't know if she.knows how much I am on but in general it is my "job" to do online research. She doesn't read blogs and mine just occasionally. I've never had the opportunity to go to a GTG but I think it would be fine and fun. We need.more friends in our life place!
  • My wife is a total computer person.. I have no idea why she doesn't Bump! I think she thinks she doesn't "need" online friends to help her through things. I on the otherhand LOVE bumping and am so thankful for all the advice I have received!
  • My wife has no interest in TB and she wonders why I am on it sometimes.  She has IRL friends and I have online friends, she thinks I am crazy for talking to people online.

She doesn't read my blog and has a problem with me putting our life out there.  *shrug*  She has little fits sometimes about it than gets over it when I explain that I have no one to talk to IRL.

• imagectbride08:

My wife has no interest in message boards/bogs/ect.  She just doesnt do online socializing.  She doesnt work on a computer, doesnt have a facebook page, ect.  Not her thing.  She used to think my message board habit was silly (and probably still does a bit), but she's come around now that she's met a bunch of the friends I've made online and she supports the outlet/resource/support it is for me. We also got our kids from my "silly hobby" so that made it all a lot more real for her :)

Ditto. Although she works on a computer all day - though not online- and has no desire to be on it during non-work hours. She does have a FB account, but I think the last time she logged in was May.  She just doesn't get online socializing and doesn't understand the value I get from my online life. She is still wary of me meeting up with ladies from another message board that I go on even though it is a private board, I've been active on it for 7 years, and I've met most of the people on it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We share the account. Wife is preggo  but I am the more social/outgoing one. Also a internet freak with researching and reading.    Wife is always on computer for work so sometimes she is done with pc stuff. We work from home -

If i see something I think she may like or be interested in I tell her she usually hops on.  Mainly I am the Bumper a lil odd as I am the "butch" one and take on the more masculine roles.  I often runthings by her ( like this post ) or tell her what i read and wrote. 

Wife thinks that its cute that I bump and thinks it helps me be more involved.  I am also the "freak-er outer"  where she is the calm and collected and k sera sera  type so I tend to do more research and try to be organized and prepared where she just floats on ( i wanna float on somedays and not worry - must be the  jewish mother in me and all the guilt that screws it up )  HA !

I tend to get frustrated that she does not research or is not where i am at in the sense of what stroller to get or what to prepare for lame stuff like that ...and in  somethings we do have very different opinions on but that is why we compliment one another so well.  

Ugg and we are trying to decide where to move to either stay in NV or go back to CAli and I am killing myself over it and she is just like whatev... and it KILLS me!

You can tell the diff usually by our sign offs 

I sign of - J&M and she usually is -M&J  or does not sign off at all 

- Jay & Melanie 

Oh and I too am very thankful for fellow bumpers. It really helps to have these boards and to hear everyone's advice/ suggestions and opinions and pick and choose what I wanna take from conversations to apply to our situation.   SO THANK YOU !

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • DW has no interest in the bump. She knows I like to talk to other "mommies" and she plays the more (plesae no one take offense) masculine role. Not to say she is not interested in raising Ky but her talking to other parents consists of her talking to her male friends at work. Sometimes she thinks it is a bit silly but she also knows I have no mommy friends that live close (one in IN and one in NE) and NO lesbian mommy friends period.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My wife is interested and loves (or pretends to love) the stories I tell about you all.  She loved getting the ornament from 2true and we are meeting up with Brit this coming weekend, which she is excited about but going on-line and talking to people isn't her bag.  She is a teacher and so her job, unlike mine (research associate) does not have much computer time and she is ok with not introducing it into her downtime.  This board is the first board I have ever been involved with and I think it was due to the fact we have been having such a hard go at ttc.  It was nice to find people in similar situations.  We have lots of gay friends but none ttc.

I would love to add a picture in my signature, so you all know a little more about what we look like, (I love finally seeing pictures of you all in your blogs!) but when I did it was GIGANTIC!!! and I am terrified to repeat the mistake! If anyone wants to tell me the dimensions I should put it at, I will try again.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I find it fascinating that so many of your wives don't like the internet!  My DW and I are both major addicts. We've both had online friends, although more me.  She loves researching every little detail of things like I do, but I think she thinks I'm silly for being so obsessed with PCP/TTC when we are not TTC yet.  She doesn't read here, but whenever I post I think she might read it someday when she decides to get interested.  We don't have a ton of friends and have basically no connection to an LGBT community so I love reading here and other places online to get prepared for our future as parents!
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • DW hasn't shown much interest in the BUMP! but I might kinda like it if she did. Sometimes I will read her what I am posting or someone else's interesting post if we happen to be hanging out on the couch together or something. She does the FB thing, as do I , but I guess she just doesn't feel the need to have a BUMP! account. I, on the otherhand, consider it to be an invaluable resource for both info. and support (TYVM!) I suppose it boils down to how we each approach this whole thing. DW tries not to get excited or worked up every month, while I embrace it (even the TWW in an odd way). She does this to avois such a big let down. I get that, but just can't help myself. Studies have shown that dreaming and fantasizing about your pregnancy and motherhood during the TTC time is very healthy and helps to prepare you mentally....Some of us on here (self-included) are going to be the best prepared parents on the block!
  • Like many of you, my lovely wife is also not overly interested in frequenting this board.  We both work from home (acutally we do the same job for the same company) and maybe because of this we sort of seem to split internet researching/socializing.  As in - I love to read this board, and then I tell her about it, same goes for several of the blogs I read.  She goes to other sites on a regular basis and shares with me verbally - she also tends to keep more tabs on FB than I do.  Sort of like divide and conquer the internet? Wink

I also would have to say that there really isn't any traditional roles in our relationship - we each do the things that we are either better at or enjoy more, or play the "helper".  I hate to cook (and she's a fantastic cook), but I like to spend time with her in the kitchen, so I help with food prep.  Otherwise, I love to keep lists and organize so the bills and appt making and stuff all goes to me.

• Jen has little to no interest in socializing online. When we got engaged in 2003 I had a lot more free time at work so I did most of the research for our wedding, and ended up on The Knot then and have been more or less ever active since. She enjoys hearing about the experiences of other lesbian couples though, especially since we don't have a lot of lesbian friends and even fewer lesbians friends who are married or in very long-term relationships.

I don't post anything here (including anything about her family) that I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with her reading. We have a pretty good understanding of what each other considers private. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Same as many pp's - my wife has no interest.  She loves all the friendship and info that I gain from it though.
    Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • B is all about Facebook, but the bump is just mine :) Its not that she wouldn't do it or anything, but I've been on here for so long, I just kind of staked my claim on it before she did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"