Birth Stories

Jaydens Failed Epi Birth and Post partum hemmoraging

Well I was 39 weeks exactly and he had not dropped. I wasn't having contractions or anything. I had done decided as a first time mom I was going to have a 42 weeker! lol That Tuesday I woke at 5:30 am and my back was THROBBING. Nothing new I had, had back pain my whole pregnancy but never bad enough to wake me out of my sleep. I was a little nervous but just decided to go take a nice hot bath to ease the pain. I went to the bath there was a little blood in my underwear not spotting but not alot. I had lost my mucus plug in pieces since like 36 weeks on! So i thought this migh tbe my bloody show but knew it could still be a few days! Well after the bath did nothing for my back I stood up in the bath adn blood was gushing down my leg. I FREAKED out it was so much more blood then I thought of a bloody show! I thought for sure my uterus just ruptured or something so I went and woke up my dad. (I was staying with my parents husbands deployed). I had an hour drive to the hospital i was going to delivery at. We got in the car fter about 20 mins on top of AWEFUL back pain I started having 2 min apart contractions lasting 45-60 seconds! I knew either something was terribly wrong or i was in labor. We'll we got about 20 minutes from my hospital and there was a car accident that had traffic backed up and after no moving for 2 and 1/2 hours. My dad called an ambulance to come get me! I was rushed to the hospital because they saw the blood and thought it was more then it should be too. I got there they hooked me to the monitors checked the bleeding and said everything was normal. The monitors were showing contractions like crazy but they weren't horribly painful yet. They did a vaginally exam i was at a 2 and 1/2. They day before I had been at nothing. It still wasn't enough to admit me so they sent me and my dad to walk around for 2 hrs! I came back and actually the walking was less painful then laying with the contractions! Well I came back and i was a little more then 3 and 1/2 almost a 4. So they admitted me and got me in the back on an IV. I was feeling the contractions but still not terrible painful. The doctor came in a few hours later and broke my water. Thats when it started to HURT! I asked for a narcotic they gave me staydol which just made me feel drunk and naseus! So after that wore off I was in TERRIBLE pain. I got the epideral. It worked for about 30 minutes then I started feeling termindous pain the dr came in and said he thought it would probably not be till the next day. I was tears the pain was AWEFUL! I have had back surgeries, reconstructive knee surgery, NOTHING compares!! I knew something was odd I felt like i needed to push. I finally called the nurse in there i was at an 8 I went from a 4 1/2 to an 8 in literally like 45 mins to an hour!! The nurse was like well thats why your almost there. Finally they paged the doctor but he was in a c-section! Then I got hooked up to oxygen because Jaydens heartbeat was dropping. The nurse checked about and I was ready to push! I still had to wait on the doctor he wasn't out of surgery mean while I was feeling everything because the epi had failed. Finally they got the ansieoligist (sp? lol) back in there and he uped my epi and I was able to relax and stopped feeling everything. I had progressed so quickly the epi couldn't keep up. The doctor got there and the nurse talked me thru pushing and we did a few "practice" pushes. I pushed for a little over 4 minutes and Jayden was there! I set the record for first time moms in that hospital. Jayden was facing my left hip not face down. So I had bad tearing but because of the epi I didn't feel it. He was born at 11:26 pm that night. He was 7lbs 7 ozs and 20 3/4 inches long :D I was feeling great then i heard the Dr. whisper to the nurse to run and get some oxytocin I was bleeding alot. He tried to say it so low I wouldn't hear him but I could see the look on his face and tell it was a lot more then it should be. I have a blood clotting disorder which causes a low platelet count if it would have been any lower I would not have been allowed an epideral at all. I ended up having to have 2 bags of oxytocin and some kinda pill but the bleeding stopped,

Re: Jaydens Failed Epi Birth and Post partum hemmoraging

• Congrats on your son! Sorry about all the bleeding. It must have been so scary to not have your DH there. Best wishes to you and your new family!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey girl----do you mind me asking what blood disorder you have??  I have ITP and it's been in remission for 15 years after my spleenectomy and my only concern is a low platelet count for delivery!!! (they are way over 400,000 right now so I'm good for now).  I'm glad your bleeding stopped and you have a sweet healthy baby!
    sig-1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"